K-9 Mail release schedule

What if (for now) you just added an extra option which (if checked) would (right at the app start) show the menu opened with the list of accounts?

I don’t think that would require any extra design.

e.g. the option name could be ‘Show menu with account list at app start’ under General Settings - Display

Currently when I start the app, it shows the emails of an account. To see the account list I need to click on the menu, then again on the upper part of the screen.
With the new option I could just start the K9 Mail app and the menu with the list of accounts could come up immediately without any extra clicking.

1 Like

@cketti When will the next beta version be released please?

A new beta version was just released today :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yeah im with you on that one. It would be nice to implement that in the ui. A button NEEDS to be added for ease of access to email lists and have it bootable on start of app or at least they adopt the approach thunderbird has and display the list of your emails in the sidebar

Im really enjoying the features so far though, you really cant complain. It might not be the prettiest email client but it sure does get the job done. Hope they maintain this app, but that depends on the amount of support this receives in the foreseeable future. HUGE THUNDERBIRD FANGUY here so inevitably, I had to give this a go :+1:. Nice job K9 team :clap:

@cketti It has been over a month since the last beta version was released. When can we expect the next one please?

What kind of answer do you expect? There’s no fixed release schedule. So a new version will be released when it’s ready.

You’ll know when it’s ready because that’s when a new version will have been released.

2 Likes

@cketti hasn’t lost his sense of humor after all these years😀

I was not expecting a date that is set in stone, just an indication of when the next release is likely to be available.

Why do you need a new release? Are you affected by a bug that is already fixed in the development version?

1 Like

Well, I think I get what you mean… but funny question. Why do you developers need a new release too? :wink: - Can’t we agree, that we all are excited about new features, improvements and bug-fixing? :slight_smile: (and maybe sometimes fear, that some things get worse with new versions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Funny question? Really?

1 Like

Asking for ETA (release date) has been frowned upon in the Android world forever. Devs + maintainers generally do this in their free time and asking “when update???” has always been considered rude.

If everything works then what’s the problme? I for one don’t have any bugs that need fixing, everything works as it should so I’m happy with k-9. Not to mention that it’s summer, vacation time for many people.

So just use it as is and be happy + surprised when an update comes :grin:

2 Likes

K-9 Mail is part of the Thunderbird family, and some of the devs are employed by them. There is a roadmap for K-9 Mail becoming Thunderbird for Android, and I was just interested in when the next release will be.

Problem is that for some of us, nothing works anymore. Unless and until K9 adds OAuth2 as a logon option for POP and IMAP accounts, I’m forced into Outlook. I loathe Outlook.

New versions don’t magically fix things. You have to actually tell us what’s not working, so we can fix it.

K-9 Mail supports OAuth 2.0 with Gmail, Office365, Yahoo, and AOL. Check the FAQ section of this forum.

I certainly discussed the issue on this forum: Microsoft Outlook 2FA with K9
In short, there’s no way to configure K9 to be compatible with a business e-mail account on outlook.com, because business e-mail accounts don’t support app passwords. We need to have the same Oauth2 support that desktop Thunderbird mail server provides. I still run Thunderbird on my desktop, but for phone access to my e-mail, Outlook is the only available option.

And, despite my preference for POP, I did try the IMAP instructions, which result in a popup saying my provider is not supported.

Only, if “the only” other option you look at is K-9.

Eager to hear alternatives that support OAuth2 on POP and IMAP. I couldn’t find one.

FairEmail works fine with O365, though you need to use either the Github releases or the Google Play version due to the bullshit client keying that OAuth providers insist on enforcing.