Accounts overview screen

Some pointers please ?

From Dev in other, now closed thread: “But I couldn’t find a post that tried to explain why. If you want to have the account overview screen back, you have to convince us developers that it’s a good idea.”

This level of arrogance rivals even that of Microsoft. It’s not good enough that dozens of your users complain about an unnecessary change, they have to convince you that it’s ‘needed’? Wow.

Keep that up and you’ll find a mass migration away from your app. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of 3rd party mail apps out there. Yes, I chose your app originally for several reasons, but I don’t “need” you. I can easily find another app to replace yours.

And then in the closing post the Dev complains that most of the posts are just reiterations of previous posts. Well, duh! Of course there will be several posts basically saying the same thing. Does that mean that “one” reason is invalid?

As a programmer myself, if my users all started saying the same thing about a change or a requested function, personally, I’d listen to them and not get all bent out of shape and make them explain “why” to me. And more likely than not, I’d more than likely give them what they want.

For my 2cents of “why” it’s needed (probably a regurgitation of other posts, but, meh…):

1. For users (like me) that have multiple e-mail accounts, they would prefer to see an overview at a glance.
  2. Having the accounts overview screen as the main app screen means all you have to do is open the app, et viola! You can now easily see which accounts have mail.
  3. With the current (dare I say, abominable?) configuration, you have to
    a) open the app
    b) hit the three horizontal bars in the upper left corner
    c) hit the account drop-down list
    before you can see an overview. Simple math can tell you that one action is better than three actions.
  4. One of my multiple accounts is for work. I literally get dozens (if not hundreds) of emails a day. Most of which I don’t bother reading on my phone (unless I’m in the filed, away from my computer). And why would I? But I still need to have them come in for when I am in the field. Now, I suppose I could make that my default email so that it opens directly t that inbox, but I DON’T WANT TO (and I shouldn’t HAVE to). So again, with the current setup, it takes me FIVE actions to get to the inbox, when before it was two.

And don’t start touting the “unified” inbox to me. That may be fine for others and it may be fine for non-work related emails, but I don’t want my work e-mails to be mixed in with all of the others. It’s a nice option, for those who want to use it, but it’s not for me.

13 Likes

that was beautifully said !

1 Like

Apparently all accounts can be queried at once by opening the sidebar with the accounts. Click on the arrow to get the account overview. Drag down and all accounts will be updated. That is actually what I want. If this overview would come first instead of an inbox, then that would be two clicks less and I would have the overview right when I open it. But it’s much better than having to query each mail address individually.

1 Like

Looking for other app too…
:triumph::triumph::triumph:

1 Like

You took the whole reason why I liked this app and through it out the window. I will uninstall this app if it’s not fixed. Btw who was the moron who came up with this bright idea? Fire them please.
You just made your app as useless as all those mail other mail apps.

I’ve been using k-9 for a long time to simply handle multiple mail-accounts.

But the new UI (unusable interface…) is terrible. A feeled amount of thousand taps to get an overview of all installed mail-accounts is not what I want and need.

And these multicoloured icons, that swap their position after each selection of an account, remind me of a badly programmed game of the 80s. Not usable.

And after checking one of the subfolders (e.g. sent-folder) and tap at android’s back-triangle, I’m thrown to the unified inbox instead of the folder where I came from, when I navigated to the subfolder… strange behaviour and different from before.

So please go back to the old UI or alternatively let the user choose which view he wants to start with or which UI he wants!!!

Yours

André

3 Likes

All "modern"apps use this crazy Gmail type of account section menu.
We are living a bad dream…
:exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

Best way is to do settings backup
disable autoupdate
remove new version and install 5.6000
give 1* in google, maybe they come to their senses or we should start searching for new app

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but unless we’re all mistaken, it’s very non-trivial to get to the screen you’re showing. Instead of tapping the phone’s “back” button a couple of times, this screen you show can only be accessed by navigating with multiple taps or swipes around multiple different parts of one’s phone screen.

even then, the overview only shows unread message count. it doesn’t have the lovely feature of showing a star to immediately jump to starred messages for that specific account.

those of us who use K9 mail for both work and personal accounts desperately need a way to keep things separate and something like a unified inbox is a feature that is a hindrance and not a help to all of us.

there is simply no equivalent to the overall account view screen. we badly need it back.

4 Likes

Per a user recommendation here,I just installed FairEmail. A few minutes to set up the first two accounts, switched startup view to show unified folders instead of unified… so far looks even better than the classic K9.

3 Likes

I’ve used K-9 Mail as my primary email client for over a decade and it used to be the best email client I’ve ever used, before the latest redesign.

here’s how I used to use K-9 Mail every day:

• 8 mail accounts, some personal, some work.

• different folders in different accounts synced on different schedules.

• open up the (old) main accounts page and click on the “sync” icon (at the bottom of my screen), and watch for it to sync past the account + folder I’m interested in checking.

• see the number of new messages per account (in just the folders I’m syncing), and click on the dot to view a list of just the new messages for that account.

• occasionally, I’d click on the folder icon in the main accounts page to go manage mail in a particular folder in a particular account.

• unified mailbox is of zero use to me so I’ve always just disabled it.

…that all worked AMAZING, for a decade.

the new U/I redesign makes K-9 Mail unbelievably frustrating to try to use. I’m aware that the tendency for new users to just hate changes, but that’s not what’s happening for me.

I’ve genuinely attempted to use the new U/I, and the functionality just isn’t what works for my usage, it’s much worse than before, for me.

I need to be able to see all my accounts at a glance, and quickly click one icon to initiate syncing of all my desired folders in all my desired accounts, easily see how many new messages each account has, and click on the “unread mail” circle for just one specific account, then click back and do the same for any other accounts I want to deal with right then.

the new U/I is beautiful, but WAY less functional for me. the new U/I removes the wonderful account overview page that was my primary interface, and removes the syncing button at the bottom (which was easy to reach on a large phone).

the new U/I hides all of the info I want to see (how many starred / unread per account), and forces me to do a series of swipes and taps to manually switch between accounts and then it shows me dozens of folders in each account that I’m not interested in seeing.

I’m grateful for the decade of service, and it’s wonderful to see the resumed development, but the redesigned U/I wrecks K-9 Mail for me.

I’ve wasted days fighting through the new U/I trying to force myself to get used to it, and then wasted hours downgrading to v5.6 so I can use my mail again.

I’m going to continue to use the old interface (v5.6) until it stops working, then I’ll find a replacement as K-9 Mail is going in a direction that’s not useful to me.

…all that said: I’ve never donated before, but I’ll donate $100 if you can implement a similar “account overview” page, like v5.6 had, and would encourage others to do the same.

thanks for being the best mail client for so long, very sorry to see it end.

-Adam

10 Likes

The accounts overview page as startup page has been one of the key features which made my decision.
Please bring back the accounts overview page as startup page!

3 Likes

Email Encryption - OpenPGP there you can find a list of clients supporting PGP

Downgrading is not a valid option, its like using Windows XP because of a better feature. You may also want to check Email Encryption - OpenPGP to get a list of clients supporting PGP.

I second this. Used K9 for a long long time. So unhappy about this “new” UI I registered first time to comment. This new UI sucks. Maybe it’s time to switch to a new mail client.

2 Likes

Woof. Your post “I’m sad to say that I haven’t learned a lot. I now know that many of you liked the account overview screen and that you would like to have it back. But I couldn’t find a post that tried to explain why.” - Shows that you are either completely disconnected from what your users keep REPEATEDLY saying we want, or you are in complete denial (or both). And - " If you want to have the account overview screen back, you have to convince us developers that it’s a good idea" - Arrogant much? Jesus, dude. I’m ready to jump ship JUST because of this statement. Wow.

7 Likes

I’m looking for 5.6 on GitHub, and seeing lots of 5.7xxx versions. Are any of those worthwhile? Or should I just go all the way back to 5.6?

1 Like

Get v5.600. v5.7xx already have the new UI AFAIK.

1 Like

Just registered to say I’m going back to 5.6 for a while as well because of the missing overview screen. I think it is still good enough and it is not an OS so I can risk to be out of date for a year or so. I used K9 for years and loved it. What I did not like about version 5.6 were the many steps it took to empty the trash - until I saw V 5.8…

2 Likes