Accounts overview screen

It seems that my opinion on this topic was deleted, at least I can’t find it anymore. Apparently my reasoning was not clear enough. I do not know why I have to restate myself everything that has already been formulated, but then:

I had appreciated the account overview extremely, because I could check all mailboxes at once with one action and see where new mails came in. I chose K-9 because I could keep my 7 private and business accounts with different purposes and priorities separate and keep track of them.
Even if I’m only waiting for a specific reply in one mailbox, the overview is useful because I can either see if a mail just came in that mailbox or go straight to the right one to check. Since I don’t poll my mails very often (and some don’t poll automatically at all), this is not a superfluous feature that would be covered by the notification.

For me, K-9 was a professional tool that clearly stood out from all other mail programs because it covered needs of more experienced users.(I find the current (general) trend of design and “experience” becoming more important than functionality quite annoying). I was a big fan of K-9, it covered everything I needed that was practical. Sure, sometimes it takes a moment to get used to innovations in an app you’ve grown very fond of. But I think all the unanimous votes from dedicated K-9 users (who I’m sure had recommended the app to many more people, as I had), shows that something important has been lost here, doesn’t it?

8 Likes

Why the need for multiple user actions when the old account list was simpler and faster. The sidebar adds multiple steps to what was once simple and fast.

3 Likes

Seems that you are kind of deaf to the folks you are replying to. The need to take multiple steps to accomplish the same actions is the reason many are unhappy. Asking people to reread a bad answer won’t make that answer a good answwr.

9 Likes

This - nice looking interface, but less than useful. What can you accomplish with the new interface that you couldn’t with the old one? What were the reasons for eliminating the account overview screen? How did eliminating it make K9 easier to use or better?

5 Likes

New UI is nice, but please back account overview.

1 Like

Mein k9 hat sich automatisch aktualisiert. Ich war verwirrt, musste erst mal umständlich suchen, wo ich die Konten finde. Auch ich möchte die Kontoübersichtsseite zurück. Ich habe zwar nur 5 Konten, möchte aber direkt sehen, wo was eingeht. Die privaten Mails können warten. Die beruflichen nicht. So kann ich k9 nicht verwenden. Werde auf dir alte Version downgraden, und nach einem anderen Client ausschau halten…

If the old overview cannot be restored, K9 is deleted. It’s bad that something that works is changed.

2 Likes

I registered here just to respond because these user features were KEY to why I have used K9 mail for many years. I see the account overview screen we can swipe to, so that is fine. What I used on the account overview screen was linked to the summary of ‘starred’ emails and unread emails next to the account on the account overview. I would click on those summaries to filter on starred or unread in the inbox. This allowed me to quickly find the important starred emails. It also allowed me to filter on unread, quickly select them all if they are junk mail, and delete them. With the current user interface, I have to scroll through the bulk of my inbox to get passed starred (cuz I sort on starred) and select each piece of junk mail individually. Doing this is incredibly frustrating because there can be 50 pieces of junk mail. I hope this clarifies why the filtering on Starred and Unread emails is so important. Thanks!

5 Likes

I use K-9 mail for several years on different Android phones and found it the best mail program available. But you changed several important things in such a way that it doesn’t work anymore.

1. There is no overview anymore of all the mail accounts that I follow on my phone. Normally I could see when I opened K-9 mail and checked for new mails, where I had got how many new mails and I could with one click open the email account I wanted to see. Now I get a list of all old emails, I cannot manually check anymore for new mails and I have to do a lot of clicking before I can see where I have new mails. That is to say: if…
  2. I see no possibility anymore to check for new mails, so the last mails I see in the new K-9 are the mails from Sunday, before the moment you decided to install the new K-9 version on my phone. I was quite happy with the “old” program and don’t see what’s better in the newly installed version.
  3. If I cannot figure out how to check for new emails, K-9 will become useless for me and I will need to look for another program. I would be sorry for that as K-9 was an excellent program, till last Sunday.
    I hope you will bring back the good features that you deleted. For a reason that I don’t understand…
4 Likes

@ everyone … TypeApp mail since K-9 is open source, this is a branch app that went their own way. I like what I see and even though moving my 31 email accounts was a pain. This is far better than the new buggy, unworkable K-9. If I get 10 years out of TypeApp mail it will be worth it.

7 Likes

thanks for the tip !!

1 Like

Same here, I need to have back that view - reason is simple as mentioned many times before, the new concept is just cumbersome, at least in this use case.

Fortunately, there are now alternatives that can also handle PGP.

1 Like

READ the comments people! Then PROCESS that feedback. Everyone wants the account overview back, make it happen ASAP, otherwise you will get a bunch of uninstalls, 1-star reviews and people moving on to other apps.
Next time, ASK people what they want and not just completely alter the way it works.

3 Likes

Does TypeApp have an account overview screen when it comes up? The app description in the Play Store only shows the unified inbox

1 Like

Hi,

I am new to this forum. So please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I am not sure if I fully understand the problem which is discussed here. I also use K9 since a few years, and I also have 6 accounts I manage with it.
But I am still able to use an overview for these accounts with 3 clicks, can see how many unread mails are available for each of them and can fetch all the accounts with a single gesture to refresh them at once. Do I miss something in this discussion?
Yes, it looks different, but after a few minutes I found the new way how to get the same information as before.

1 Like

Me too, please bring the accounts overview page back. New interface is difficult and frustrating.

3 Likes

OK, the two most important links here:

1. Downgrade to version 5.600:
    How to downgrade to an earlier version?
    Android will complain that the app was built for an earlier Android version, just click OK on that.

2. The best alternatives to K9:
    https://www.g2.com/products/k-9-mail/competitors/alternatives
    Somebody also suggested TypeApp, which is apparently a spin-off from K9 with similar looks, but the Play Store view only shows the unified inbox, I don’t know if they offer the account overview.

I just downgraded to 5.600, which works. Cost me half an hour.

3 Likes

Never.

TypeApp (=BlueMail) is a well-known app that stores data on app’s server. Read here:

Some things changed, but I won’t trust them.

TypeApp is exactly the same app, the owner has a different name. But it’s the same.

3 Likes

waow thanks this info !!

hey K9 developper, you’re busted ! :wink: