What's up with K-9 Mail?

Hi dirdi

Yes, within reason. We did remove support to upgrade from versions 5.301 and older (released 2017-10-15).

It’s mostly smaller, rarely used features. The big one is not being able to set up new WebDAV accounts. We didn’t remove support for WebDAV entirely. Importing a WebDAV account will still work. Also, upgrading from an older version with a WebDAV account already set up. But WebDAV users should prepare to either move to a different app or change the protocol they’re using to fetch their emails.
We’ll compile a complete list when we’re getting closer to a new stable release.

We did not remove OpenPGP support and have no intention of doing so.

Nice to get to know that things are moving forward. I joined the beta and will report if I experience any bugs.

Meanwhile, it would be great if you double check GitHub issues. There is a bug which I would like to fix but didn’t here aanything back on GitHub (and it’s also present in the beta). Here is the comment:

P.S. Consider adding a BitCoin or Etherium donation address to the README.

Sorry, I’ve answered now. But you have probably noticed that there are a lot of open issues. We are not enough developers to deal with all of them right away. So we need to prioritize.
The easiest way for us to provide feedback is if you propose a solution to a problem you’re having with the app. Either as a pull request if the change is reasonably small (so you don’t waste a lot of time in case we think there’s a better approach to fix the issue), or as a new issue outlining how you intend to fix a problem.

2 Likes

Great to hear that the project is still alive!
Especially after my Android upgraded automatically to a new release.

Any updates on this? Keen to see the new version!

Rule #1 of open source software development: questions on release dates are always answered with “when it’s done”.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Sync issues with version 5.600

A post was split to a new topic: Special characters displayed incorrectly

Just got the 5.8 . Nice to see some development but…

1. Really hate the message navigation and delete buttons at top of screen. Need an option to move them to where they should be at the bottom.
  2. It’s now 12 taps to review the new message count in 4 accounts. It used to be one tap. Please bring back the default accounts view
  3. The font sizes are too coarse between small and smaller. Small still looks childish, the default size look for all components looks like like a young children’s reading book…
6 Likes

I’d agree with your comments. My wife will go berserk because the new version looks & behaves so differently. Particularly the loss of all inboxes being displayed by default. I really dislike the unified inbox because I monitor 6 different boxes & want to go directly to the relevant inbox.

5 Likes

Development of the app is good but as has been said above the changes made are not so good. Also, the lack of being able to filter ‘starred’ mails from the account screen is not so great as this was something I used all the time on previous releases. :pensive:

1 Like

Agreed. I can no longer view my email with one hand on my smartphone because the delete button is at the top of the screen. Please move it back to the bottom or give us the option!

The defining feature of K-9 was the account view to see how many new messages in all of your inboxes by default. Please bring it back!

3 Likes

I can’t agree more about nav being at the bottom. I now have to use two hands to do any interaction with the app, and that’s really a nuisance.

5 Likes

I thoroughly agree with your sentiments. I want a default overview of all my accounts and one-handed operation.

I like the new look, it’s just that I dislike starting in an inbox when it may not be the account I’m interested in viewing at thst time.

My wife’s asked me to change client so I shall have to go through the downgrade process for her, which is a shame.

Would it not be comparatively simple to default startup to the accounts overview page?

3 Likes

… and where’s the refresh button to do a quick mailbox check?

Pull down in the side bar.

Seriously, who really expects ‘pull to refresh’ in a side bar?

1 Like

That is comically un-intuitive. The new redesign is just about the largest collection of anti-user changes I can ever recall seeing in an app update.

2 Likes

No, sorry, can’t find a button to refresh or does it refresh automatically when I open the sidebar?

I use the account overview to check & prioritise my workload according to the job I’m doing at any time. Notifications are intrusive & an unreliable indicator of importance. A unified inbox doesn’t help & I find such a facility a complete no-no so thank-you that I can turn it off.

I appreciate the new look but not the new functionality mandate.

:slight_smile:

There is no visible button. Open the side bar and then pull down to refresh.

1 Like