Unable to view MIME mail attachments

hi all,

Should I expect K-9 to be able to handle, i.e. display, emails containing another email in a MIME attachment, i.e. a simple attachment-forwarded email?

For example, today I received an email:

Content-Type: multipart/mixed

with two attachments. The first is the “enclosing” email:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

and the second is the forwarded email:

Content-Type: message/rfc822; name=“blah.eml”
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=“blah.eml”

I would have expected K-9 to show me the content second attachment, i.e. the forwarded email, inline, since its content is simple, and it’s marked as an email (rfc822)

Instead, it just shows me just the enclosing email, i.e. the first text/plain attachment, and then shows an icon for the rfc822 email attachment.

[As an aside, it also shows “0 B” under the filename; I assume that’s a size, and possibly indicates a bug, since the rfc822 attachment is not zero size]

Worse, if I touch the attachment, K-9 does not handle it. Instead, I get the “Open with” dialogue, which offers me a choice of Chrome, or Gmail, as apps to handle it. But not K-9!

Thus, to actually read the email, I need to start up another app. Is this supposed to work like this, or do I have a problem somewhere? Can K-9 really not handle attachment-forwarded emails?

Edit: forgot to add: in contrast, for example, Thunderbird on the desktop displays the forwarded email inline, as expected.

thanks very much indeed.

cheers,
calum.

1 Like

0 B is displayed as long as the attachment has not been downloaded. As soon as you have downloaded it, (and close and open the current mail again,) the correct size of the attachment should be displayed properly.

Assuming K-9 does not MIME-check the attachments, the behaviour is actually correct… Android apps are supposed to forward the MIME intent to the OS for any MIME type they themselves do not handle.

Looking deeper, K-9 doesn’t actually handle eml files. It only handles the (internally forwarded?) data stream pipe.

Sounds like a big to me. Was this limitation filed as an issue?

Is Issues · thunderbird/thunderbird-android · GitHub the right bug tracker? It is, according to f-droid.org

Yes, also see here: