K-9 Mail is back (5.800 release)

Touching the contact icon is hit or miss and half the time I end up opening the email instead of selecting it. Long press is just too long. Please bring back swipe to select the first email then tap to select the rest. Once they are selected I can delete them. Please don’t do swipe to delete.

Yup. A lot of prominent open source dev’s and advocates have pointed this out as well. It is ethically wrong to do what cketti has done here.

1 Like

No we don’t have a lot of options. On the other hand the users who like the new UI do have a lot of options.

And what good is discussing what is wrong with the UI when the developer actively dismisses said discussion and feedback?

2 Likes

Switched to FairEmail two days ago, and loving it. All the things I need (especially account overview), and very detailed configuration options. Goodbye K-9.

2 Likes

Explain to us WHY you think this app needed a UI refresh? WHY? Nobody I know needed that, or asked for it, or wanted it. It’s this strange millennial type attitude that stuff constantly needs to ‘refresh’ its looks. WHY? If it works, just like with a furnace, an oven, a dishwasher, a tap, a shower, you keep it working as long as possible, you don’t go take out buttons, alter core functionality or change their shapes ‘because it needs a UI refresh’.
Freaking idiots.

1 Like

“The ui changes bring k9mail in line with modern Android guidelines”,
what an enormous crock of horseshit. Who even told you this nonsense?
There are no UI requirements to bring apps in line with modern Android guidelines. An app is an app. The only guidelines to follow for email apps are RFCs for email security, restrictions on how an app uses server- and internet-resources and such.

Nonsense. Where did you get that from? No OSS dev I know lives under that assumption. With OSS it’s the users that ask and vote for software features or not, who report bugs. If there are no users, the devs have nothing to do it for, and more often than not the project or idea dies pretty soon.

In itself your statement is true. However, developers are strongly urged to follow the design guidelines as laid out for Material Design / Material You: Material Design

Of course, no store will block your app just because it doesn’t follow the design guides, but it makes it easier for users if the apps all follow similar principles.

As you mention RFCs: Having your app follow Material Design or Material You guidelines make it follow usability rules as defined in DIN EN ISO 9241.