K-9 Mail is back (5.800 release)

“Peeking” or “angled swipe” to open the nav drawer? Sorry, both are a mess, not reliable.

while I’m not the one who asked, from what I’ve been seeing so far, a lot of posters have more than 3 accounts - I myself have around 10.
3 should be simple to micromanage pretty much anywhere, so I’m not sure you’d fully understand the strain discussed so much here.

2 Likes

OK. With ten accounts I can Imagine that the bubbles don’t fit in the top and you run out of colors. But may I ask why you need access to all of them on your phone? Do you think there is a lot of people that have more than six accounts?

You can run the Protonmail Bridge CLI in termux. It’s by no means ideal, but for me it works better than their app.

I have 8 accounts on k9 mail.

My phone is my most portable device, and I don’t exactly spend a lot of time at a workstation.

(On an aesthetic aside, I really dislike icon-centric stuff like that to begin with - I just want a list - but until I can get something without them I’ve switched back to 5.6)

And I do think there are people, generally, given the uproar - but I can’t prove that without a survey (that I don’t have time to lead).

I have 6-8 at least (varies depending on current projects which are usually set up on separate domains).
However, the only issue I have is with the limited range of account colours. I never use anything other than the unified inbox to check mail while not at a computer, it is not a primary device, more an email viewer or emergency email responding device. With 5.8 I am struggling to see the difference between e.g. orange and yellow as a) the colour band has now shrunk and b) they are now almost identical at that size.

So I don’t think the issue is with the amount of accounts, it’s more to do with how users use the app.

@cketti I do love my gestures but I am happy to say I am glad the menu button is still here as my case gets in the way at times when trying to make edge gestures. So, nice to have the option. :sunglasses:

If you are a sysadmin on the move, yup. I have 8 on my normal phone and a dozen or more on another phone, and that doesn’t include all the accounts I don’t need to check often… the old UI made it a breeze to handle multiple accounts rapidly. The new UI does not.

2 Likes

There are… it is pretty normal, especially when handling business or support or else… i also have multiple currently - for multiple companies.

Therefore email accounts are specified for different topics normally, so you will not have all your projects in just one inbox. And you don´t want to see all emails for all topics at once… especially on weekends :wink:

1 Like

I use 10 accounts, with various degrees of priority over time. When I open K9 it is seldom that I need/want to check the same account I used in my last session.
Also one-handed ease-of-use is practically impossible with the new UI.

@nicohansi
It’s not about personal liking or disliking.
It’s about throwing out an existing and very useful tool and replace it with a shiny new tool, harder to use and less useful. All for the sake of “changing it”.

3 Likes

Yep. 6 accounts here.

i just updated from 5.7 to 5.802

i can’t remember how 5.6 looked like, but i sure did use it.

above all, i can’t see where all the disappointment come from. the ux looks great. it works perfectly for me. got 2 accounts, see no issues what so ever.

and, boy, if you search around for me you’ll see how easily i can find ux and any issues with any software (yes, even ledger-cli, git, fossil-scm, and ffmpeg).

really, K9 is the first open project i gladly donate 10 bucks in at least 5 years! (sorry i’m very poor).

thanks again for the continuous efforts!!

2 Likes

@cketti, Thanks for the update. It must be tough when you get so much criticism, but I appreciate what you have done in bringing a dormant project back to life.

In the past I have project managed some major systems implementations for different employers. One thing I noticed is that, with major change, users always notice features they have lost and get very vocal about it rather than stepping back and looking at the overall picture and balance out what they have lost with what has been gained (perhaps by others).

Yes, there are some things that I have lost but I am not going to whine about them, especially when I have not paid for the app. I have raised a couple of issues on the bug tracker and appreciate the responses and it is nice knowing that issues are being considered, e.g your proposal for Add optional account overview screen #5770 which closed one of my issues.

Please don’t be put off by all the negative stuff and keep up the good work!

Nick

4 Likes

The bubbles at the top are limited to only 3. More could visually fit but the app appears to have a hard limit of 3 coded in.
The 3 accounts the bubbles show swap accounts as you change account making the bubbles entirely unusable.

It appears whoever created the bubble idea didn’t really think it through.
It works for 2 or 3 accounts but pointless for 1 or 4 and more accounts. It is an extremely limited window of useful.
It appears designed for the Devs individual use case only with their exact amount of accounts considered.

1 Like

As far as I could tell in my testing, you can’t. The upgrade process uses whatever you had it set it to in 5.6, its just that the new typeface is different so any 1:1 sizing or text appearance appears to be impossible in 5.8.

The new typeface is really harsh on my vision, its like all text appears extra soft. I tired every setting and could not get the message list text to be readable for me. I ran 5.6 at Default size, but 5.8 Default size is too large and blurry, next size down it too small and also blurry.

Generally every UI element I need to receive info from in 5.8 is far more difficult to do so. The new design style is tripping visual neurological problem, things that do that for me are really rare so its hard to tell what combination of things causes the problem. I reverted back to 5.6 after failing to get text 5.8 to become readable; if I had attempted to use it for longer than the 10ish minutes I had, I’d be be looking at calling in sick to work tomorrow due to migraine.

After reading through all this I at least understand where the developers are coming from and why there was no early “Winter is coming” warning update in between. If the code base becomes too old and the app hasn’t been updated for too long, you can find yourself between a forced-API-upgrade rock and an incompatible-framework hard place. Android app development is hell-ish.
Still, I feel sorry for the apparent lack of intention to migrate as much as possible of everything that’s made K-9 great to use to the new UI. In fact, it’s been so little that I have to stand by my earlier comment that this should have been made a new app.
In the end I find myself in the same boat as so many having had to look for an alternative. So, bye bye K-9 and thanks for all the fish and hello, FairEmail.

2 Likes

A bit offtopic - There was one other app (in budgeting category) which suited me perfectly, but was not updated long time, until it even was removed from playstore for uknown reasons. I did made a backup of .apk but was not sure will it be possible fully to transfer to new device. I was prepared to pay somebody to develop exactly fuctionally same app and after put it on playstore for free for everybody, but that 1 app developer firm I contacted quoted me such crazy amount I did abandoned such idea. Luckily as a miracle original app developers came back to life, released useful update for that app and it came back to playstore. Now its silence again from them for long time, But that app is nearly perfect (for my needs), seems finished in all aspects - same as K-9 5.600 was.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @cketti, I am one of your 1.220 liberapay sponsors (have been for quite some time with a smallish sum, actually). I do love that IMAP IDLE is finally back! Thanks a bunch. Following those issues, it was no small feat to navigate between Android’s powersaving features (and those weird ones by vendors on top) and still keep pulling.
Also, you paid back some technical debt, refactoring oldish code bases, thanks. Not sure that jmap will ever taking over (although I wish it would).

The ui changes bring k9mail in line with modern Android guidelines, I can live with them, and could have lived without them. One thing would make my life much better, is the configurable icons in the top bar (Setting "visible message actions" does not seem to have any effect · Issue #5448 · k9mail/k-9 · GitHub) which are not really as configurable as they should be (and indeed even less then they were in 5.6x as my wife noticed who jumped directly from 5.6x to 5.8x).

Most of all, congrats for the persistence to keep working on this code base for so long, it is much valued! Thanks to @cketti and all other contributors, actually.

3 Likes

I’m not one to sing the praises of IOS but at least the default email app on my iPad has the account overview functionality that so many people are asking to be put back into K-9. I can see my multiple accounts, the number of unread emails in each and get to them and back with one click.

1 Like