How to get version 5.6

Version 5.8 is awful and almost unusable.
How can I revert back to version 5.6

3 Likes

This does not always work.

You may hit something like “cannot install on external storage” or similar. On a Samsung S10.

In which case you have no choice but to waste half a day or more manually entering absolutely everything again, and then living in fear the thing will try and upgrade itself.

Pretty annoying with 10-15 accounts.

If you download v5.6 from F-droid it then won’t be seen by google so it won’t accidentally update itself.

Try exporting your settings before you downgrade. Then import them to the downgraded versions. You should then only have to enter passwords

I used a separate backup from a different phone (I have copied them back and forth a number of times) as I didn’t realise it would be an issue and so didn’t backup the upgraded phone - just uninstalled and then installed 5.6

Restore didn’t work, as described. Just can’t remember the precise error, but as a result I had to enter every setting again.

I can though I guess F-droid will eventually upgrade to 5.8 as well…

In the settings of F-Droid, you may opt for no automatic updates.

1 Like

???

where did you get ver 5.6?

1 Like

I didn’t - I’m quite happy with 5.800

But see @cketti’s post above

I said ‘export’ rather than backup. I haven’t needed to do this myself as I’m quite happy with 5.800, but @cketti’s post above links to the page which describes exactly how to do it

Yes, I had my expressions mixed and meant Export.

The result is still the same.

Lucky you… ! I can’t honestly remember the last time I saw so many unhappy people kicking off about a UI change.

The account overview was the single best thing about the app. When you have multiple accounts it is so quick and easy to manage, and I have never used the Unified Inbox as it is just way too much to deal with. K9 has now turned into yet another long winded slow and painful gmail clone. “Disappointing” does not describe it.

Hey ho - such is open source. The devs can do whatever pleases them. A shame that they are sometimes so convinced they are right and find it difficult to row back from such a defined position.

I’ll just use 5.6 until either it breaks on my phones and I am forced to find another app, or happen across one anyway - FairEmail has always looked quite nice but it not quite as ‘open to comments’ unfortunately, and does not have a simple overview screen.

1 Like

restoring the settings is not a problem.

so far, no one has answered the question “Where can I get version 5.6?”

It was already answered two times in this exact thread. Third time’s a charm: How to downgrade to an earlier version?

See this post

or this: How to downgrade to an earlier version?

1 Like

OK, call me stupid/dense or whatever,

going to your link, what I see is
how to export settings (I know how to do this)
how to disable updates (I know how to do this)

I do not see a link to get version 5.6, only 5.8
The link to release page only has 5.8 and 5.7 versions

Keep pressing the ‘Next’ button at the bottom of the page until you get to this page: Releases · thunderbird/thunderbird-android · GitHub then scroll down until you see v5.600

Or go direct to this page: Release K-9 Mail v5.600 ¡ thunderbird/thunderbird-android ¡ GitHub

1 Like

Case closed. Found the ver 5.6 .zip file on my phone. Settings set and I’m now a happy camper :wink:

OK, call stupid/dense or whatever,

going to your link, what I see is
how to export settings (I know how to do this)
how to disable updates (I know how to do this)

I do not see a link to get version 5.6, only 5.8
The link to release page only has 5.8 and 5.7 versions

And now F Droid seems to have had v5.6 removed.

So the b*stards at Google decide to force upgrade my 5.6 thereby destroying all my settings (thanks a bunch swear swear swear) and NOW I can’t install it from F-Droid to prevent any auto updates.

I presume it has been withdrawn to prevent downgrades.

That is Mozilla level nastiness.

Time to migrate to FairEmail.