How to get version 5.6

Ahhhh. Turn on archived versions.

Wait a while.

It eventually appears in a list.

Now to add all my passwords AGAIN.

Last time. With the Mozilla mess it is time to jump the sinking ship.

How to totally screw up a great app in a couple of versions. Congratulations.

I presume it has been withdrawn to prevent downgrades.

No, F-Droid by default only keeps the last 3 versions of any app in the main repository (aside from a few exceptions where the devs request more) to keep the main repository’s index file smaller so checking for updates goes faster. Checking for updates would take more than twice the amount of data and time if this wasn’t done.

That is Mozilla level nastiness.

The only thing that’s nasty is your attitude. Please be more respectful to people giving you something FOR FREE.

Also, Thunderbird has not been part of Mozilla for quite some time.

AND the answer from the dev links you directly to 5.600 on GitHub, which is still available.

So, during your current rant you had to:

1. Ignore the developer linking you directly to 5.600
  2. Make assumptions on how F-Droid works without doing any research
  3. Yelling at the dev of an app for how F-Droid archiving works
  4. Not know anything about the Thunderbird team not even being related to Mozilla anymore for years

And still, having done like 0 research yourself and not having read even the first reply to this topic, you feel it is reasonable to yell at someone who does FREE WORK for you? Fix your attitude.

5 Likes

Yup you’re right. Frustration at having my settings continually trashed, the fact I couldn’t easily install from F-Droid (I know perfectly well how to get it from github but that wasn’t the point), that the F-Droid version still thinks K9 is installed, despite uninstalling and trying to remove any K9 looking material, got the better of me.

As a dev on an open source project or two I’ll give myself a good talking too.

Re Mozilla, I’ve been on Mozilla TB lists for years - decades even - including some that are hard to get on.

Thunderbird is still tightly controlled by Mozilla, and that is not just me, but directly from some who are board members who I’ve spoken too over the years.

Don’t let yourself be kidded by the marketing.

If you don’t know now, you’ll find out in good time.

Good luck with that.