Duplicate notifications being generated for some messages

K-9 Mail version 5.801 from Play Store.
Some incoming email messages (I haven’t figured out a pattern) are generating duplicate notifications that cause problems. I am using the Voice Notifier app to read notifications aloud, and some are silent. The Voice Notifier notification log shows “Identical message within 10 seconds”, which causes problems.
I can see that these notifications from K-9 mail have the same time stamp down to the second and the same notification text.

This will likely be fixed in version 5.802, which is already starting to roll out.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try it.

I believe I’m having the same issue. It carried over into 5.802

I believe I’m having the same issue in 5.807 from playstore

This new update on notification function don’t solve the problem (play store installation)

If you’re using Gmail, make sure you don’t sync the “All mail” folder, or if you do, don’t generate notifications for messages in that folder. From K-9 Mail’s point of view messages in the “All mail” folder are different from messages in other folders, e.g. the Inbox. Similarly, messages with multiple labels on Gmail are considered separate messages in different folders by K-9 Mail.

1 Like

Me suffer from this issue for about a year.
I wonder … your advice … is it about settings of Gmail or K9 itself? Will you, please, specify step-by-step what exactly user supposed to do? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I do not have Gmail but I guess this needs to be configured in K9.

Please check “Manage folders” of your account. There you can check and set classes for displaying, poll, push and notification.

Select the folders for which you do not want to get any notifications and set it to None. Does this help?

No. I don’t see option to control notifications at folder level (only classes)
There is 5 variants:
All
Class 1
Classes 1 and 2
Except Class 2
None

To open “Manage folders” for your account you have to swipe from left or open the hamburger menue. There you should see Manage folders right above the Settings entry.
There you can check/set for each folder the classes for displaying, poll, push and notification.

The “Manage folders” tip was great. Thanks you! But those settings refer to something called “Class”. I have no idea what a “Class” is and which “Class” to select to achieve what end. Can you please explain what a “Class” is and what I should select in which setting to stop the multiple notifications and duplicate display of new/unread e-mails?

https://docs.k9mail.app/en/6.400/settings/folder_classes/

Thanks. Yeah, I read that. It’s logical, but it’s also borderline insanely abstract. It’s not something normal users will ever understand, unless, in the future, a UI placed in between that uses human language settings.

Instead of calling them “Class”, perhaps a more intuitive naming would be beneficial. Perhaps something like this:

1st Class  -->  Prefer ON    or   Active
2nd Class  -->  Prefer OFF   or   Inactive
None       -->  Default      or   Neutral

It would be a huge improvement, even if the code logic might have to be adjusted (slightly?).

Or something similar, that is also more intuitively comprehensible. :man_shrugging: