Copies of sent mail

I just started using K9 and find it does not save copies of my sent emails in the sent folder. How can change that?

K-9 Mail uploads messages to the designated Sent folder by default. You can configure which folder that is under Settings > [Account] > Folders > Sent folder. It’s also possible to disable uploading (because e.g. your mail provider already saves a copy of the message automatically) under Settings > [Account] > Sending mail > Upload sent messages.

1 Like

I would like to turn keeping a copy of sent mail OFF, as I have a BCC-to-self set up, but I don’t see an “Upload sent messages” option under Settings > Account > Sending mail.

This option is only available on IMAP accounts. For POP3 accounts there’s currently no way to prevent sent messages being saved to the local Sent folder

Thanks for the reply. But that’s disappointing. So I have to go in and delete them manually every few weeks for multiple accounts to keep them from filling up my phone? How 1990s.

Thank you so much! I found out that I the sent folder was not specified in the Account Settings. This should be checked during Account creation.

I wasted several hours trying to figure out why the Sent mail was not being saved, only to find this message. My Sent folder was not defined. This is NOT obvious. If someone has checked the account setting option to save outgoing messages, it would be helpful to warn them this setting needs to be set also!

3 Likes

I’d also like to strongly suggest that at least some sort of warning be shown next to “Settings / Account / Sending Mail: Upload sent messages” if “Settings / Account / Folders: Sent folder” is set to None (as it is by default). There is no conceivable scenario where someone would enable a setting to upload sent messages but want them to get uploaded directly to /dev/null.

There are numerous threads and testimonials where this silent pitfall has caused a large amount of confusion or possibly serious stress for users:

2 Likes

The default is “automatic”. That means the app will use whatever the server tells it the Sent folder is. If an email provider doesn’t support this feature, or, more common, supports it but doesn’t designate a Sent folder, the app will not use a Sent folder. This is displayed as “Automatic (None)” in settings.

We’re currently working on rewriting the account setup code. The new version will ask the user to configure special folders if the server doesn’t assign all special folder roles. (Users will still be able to select “None” if they wish not to use a particular special folder).

You can already test this by becoming a beta user.

The settings screen is currently using a framework that is not very flexible. It’s not trivial to display an additional warning message. We’ll keep the suggestion in mind for when we rewrite the settings screens (which is necessary for a couple of other reasons).

3 Likes