Accounts overview screen

When I was still using 5.8 I got around the missing overview page by making a home screen page full of k-9 unread widgets, one for each account or folder I want to quickly get to. It doesn’t show starred counts but that wasn’t important to me.

The only problem is I would have loved to put all those unread widgets in a single folder but that doesn’t work for the unread widget even though it does for the account widget.

1 Like

Steven, thanks for the input, but what you’re saying is that you got around the missing account overview by something that doesn’t work as you wished, and that doesn’t replace the account overview which wasn’t that important to you.
Maybe start another thread for that wish, because the developers seem to register only the comments that are FOR the new interface, in other words from the 141 previous comments yours will be proof for them that they are onto something.

I’m not sure you got the intent of my post. I went back to 5.6 for several reasons, the missing account overview was only one of them. But while I was still trying out 5.8, I used a workaround for the missing account overview by making a home page full of unread widgets. It’s actually pretty slick in that you can instantly see the unread counts of any of the folders/accounts you choose to look at and when you click on the widget it takes you right to that account/folder. Seeing the number of starred messages is nice but it’s the unread count that’s dynamically changing more frequently. I thought that would be useful for a percentage of people missing the account overview page but for other reasons, didn’t want to go back to 5.6.

The fact that I need to dedicate a screen instead of just a single folder for the widgets is a minor nit to me and that “bug” also exists in 5.6.

2 Likes

hey Steven, apologies, I understand now.
I’m also back to 5.6 and wish the developers could hear our plee. Every update of every app on the phone have to be updated manually to avoid K9 being also updated.
So thanks for explaining that workaround, if it was easier to jump from one version to the other I’d be tempted to try, in the meantime just hoping the developers come to their senses.

2 Likes

I’m back to 5.6 too.

2 Likes

No worries. You can actually try the workaround with 5.6 just to see how it would work if you still had 5 8 installed. It’s not as good as the overview page but at least it’s something. I also don’t like having to manually update other apps just to make sure K-9 stays at 5 6. Hopefully the developers will hear our pleas. I really want swipe to select the first message to come back, at least as an option.

Every update of every app on the phone have to be updated manually to avoid K9 being also updated.

No! Go to K9 in the Playstore and tap in the upper right right. Then, unset the checkbox “Enable auto-update”.

When you have a bunch of updates now, the Playstore will warn you, that there is an app with diasabled auto-update. Now, you can skip that update while all other apps will be updated.

I have two apps skipped like that (K9 and R2Mail2, both broken after recent GUI “improvements”).

2 Likes

good to know thanks Steven !

Not on my phone, I’ve done all you said, and have to udate manually otherwise K9 goes to the dreaded dreadful 5.8.1

OK, if obviously my idea of adding “quick switch” icons for every account in the left panel has been dismissed, could you at least allow the user to fix their favourite accounts? I use 6 accounts, but actually 3 accounts are more important for me and I’d appreciate if those 3 accounts could be permanently fixed and thus not replaced by less frequently checked accounts.!

I’ve also been a year-long user of K9 and have to consider uninstalling it.

What really bothers me: This is yet another instance of passive-aggressive developer (and some user’s) behaviour where they simply don’t explain the elephant in the room and then there’s a million suggestions like “Use the older version!” or “Not everyone dislikes it!”, even dumb accusations from beta-users such as “It has been in beta for so long, why didn’t every user check here first?” (really?) - but nobody explains why they removed the app’s main feature in the first place other than “I program this app for my personal taste!”

At this point, after silently reading lots of those posts, i feel like the developers would even keep it removed just out of spite.

5 Likes

Yes exactly !
You can even see that the users who like it ARE the beta testers, they ARE the people who asked for the riddance of the main good feature, you can read them here, you can read them on Play Store giving 5 stars to this new crappy version, “I don’t understand why some people don’t like it, I have 2 accounts and it works perfectly, it is less cluttered now” seems to be the mantra of this scary sect.
I’ve never ever seen 5.6 being cluttered even with 10 accounts.

Oh and don’t you dare answer to this army of Blind Defenders Of The Lost Cause, using the same tone as they do, you will get banned for 2 weeks for a start.

1 Like

Dont make beta users the cause of this mess, unless u find the posts or issue that says “Remove the account overview screen pls thanks”

This happened during the whole ui overhaul and too many people got excited and ignored stuff like this. And honestly, your input would have been great back then

The new dev didn’t listen to the users during the beta development when they insisted to bring back to account list at startup.
No dialog was possible and still isn’t worth the dev.
He likes to brag about himself and he likes his useless inefficient flashy crappy slide menu.

I know that chrono meant Roerto, but what i meant: I am not a beta tester and i have no idea what happened in beta. I was merely referring to someone saying that it was on beta for so long and it shouldn’t be a surprise.

It is a strange assumption that more than a small percentage of users would check on a beta. I just used the App - had no reason to check anywhere, since i was satisfied - and got surprised by the update - same as probably 99,99% of users.

1 Like

Can you show cases of this? I dont know the dev personally and I dont like creating bad pictures of people out of other’s opinion

I am aware the dev also works on AntennaPod and other projects, so I can understanding being the target of multiple people complaining in different forums while you try to keep it all together and deal with personal stuff too.

Its important to remember that these devs are not slaves and they probably have minimal finantial support.

Unless you prove me otherwise, I still give the benefit of the doubt on these cases

The same happened with Tomtom pnas and other apps or systems. Braggarts come into the game, destroy everything and voila.

You probably mean me :slight_smile: While I’m currently pretty active on the K-9 forum, I am not doing a lot of work on the K-9 code. The main developer is (and has been since 2014) cketti. Some people here are talking about “the new dev” but there is no new dev.

I don’t think that will happen. Cketti and I already talked about how to best bring back the overview screen. There even is an announcement post somewhere but I currently don’t remember where exactly. It’s pretty hard to find anything on the forum right now because so many people keep posting the exact same thing again and again instead of just using the “like” feature.

This is a very big release (and has been in the works since 3 years) - the internal code (server communication, etc) has basically been rewritten. There are dozens of things that need urgent attention now. I think cketti mainly focuses on bug fixes currently, so there is no point in still complaining about the account overview. The complaints have been heard and the return of the screen has been announced but unless you want to develop the feature yourself or pay someone to do it, you just need to wait.

3 Likes

if you had read previous posts you’d know that the dev gets 4000€ a month from German tax payers money to keep this project alive under the disguise of having public interest in mind, while saying on this forum that he only cares about his way of using the app and doesn’t owe anything to anyone.
But thanks for your input.

I appreciate the post. Look, rationally speaking it’s exactly a post like this that’s needed - pinned at the top. I mean i’ve read through hundreds of posts right after i got the update and the reactions i read sounded very passive-aggressive such as “I only program this for my own needs” and absolutely no explanation as to why it was removed. For me empathy is a high value and it has to go both ways.

Now you’re saying that there are some announcements, but how is the average user supposed to find them? I am happy to wait for good things, it was the attitude i read that had me worried. It’s what i’ve seen so many times, not only in softwere development: Elephants in the room not being adressed, beating around the bush and such. And snarky comments when asked. It actually reminded me of Foxit reader and the same kind of comments people got when asking about the complete redesign. Now they’ve done another new version and just removed the dark theme and forced bright orange and white on everyone - then wondering about the backlash.

So i didn’t make my post to complain yet another time about the redesign. It was to express my concern about how that kind of communication leads to an extremely poisoned and heated situation.

As for now i just made an account to ask about a problem i have with just refreshing my inboxes as posted here. It comes on top of the redesign issue.

2 Likes