Accounts overview screen

Thank you. Gonna test it.

I’m tiered of those extra clicks in the K9 when switching between emails … that’s complete nightmare.

1 Like

Bring back the old interface with accounts overview. Now I have to do more clicks, to get to another account.
So fix it.

1 Like

Thank you ! That is what I have done, waiting for a big change in the new 5.8 :wink:

To ByteHamster thanks for the lead on manual sync, at least there even if an odd way to do it!

As for the 15 minutes, I just do not understand. Other mail clienst and browsers check the internet far more frequently and checking for mail evry 16 minutes is just not practical for business and as mentioned themanual check is long winded.

Sadly will go back to 5.6 on this new Note 20 and of course can;t upgrade on all the Note 3 'phones as new version has dropped support for Android 4 for some odd reason.

Such a shame these changes have been grought in. I don’t disbelieve you, but I am sure Google didn’t want to stop mail clients checking for mail!

PS> anyone can give clue as to where the thread about technical details of long gap between sync is as can not find it
cheers

See Is 15 minutes really the new minimum check interval?. Google’s WorkManager only supports 15 minutes for battery saving reasons. When you want to do more frequent refreshes, you either have to hack around it or start a persistent service. When you already start a persistent service anyway, you can also just use push mail and get instant notifications. (at very high polling intervals, push mail is probably more battery and data usage friendly than repeated polling)

1 Like

A possible solution I’d appreciate could be adding icons for every(!) account in the left pannel and append the number of new / unread messages:

Screenshot_20210802-211106_K-9 Mail

Also much appreciated: custom icon for every account. I’d prefer colored icons e.g. instead of my own photo as icon…

Good idea?

That’s already possible. Just add the email address of the account to your address book and set an icon

I understand. However, offering a check box “do not use custom icons for accounts” would be very practical. I just need colored icons - colors I have been using for my accounts for as long as I use K9 (which is years…). As all accounts belong to me (probably the case for most users), that would mean “my own photo” for all my accounts. Setting up different address book items for all my email addresses on the other hand is possible but gives the impression of a “work around” rather than an intended solution?

1 Like

So I need to clutter my address book in order to fix k9’s shortcomings? Hooray

I agree the account list feature was one of the reasons I used K9. Without it I may switch to outlook since that has an account list.
If anyone at K9 actually reads these posts, it’s pretty obvious that you should not have buried the account list. It should be at least an option to set it as default view. The unifed mail box is not a replacement, it’s unusable if you have multiple accounts which are used for different purposes. I have different accounts for a reason, and don’t want to see all the emails mashed together

6 Likes

I’m relieved to see I’m not the only one that thinks this… clutter, clutter, more to do than I would have in the first place

1 Like

Same for me. Looks like no likes for k9

When I was still using 5.8 I got around the missing overview page by making a home screen page full of k-9 unread widgets, one for each account or folder I want to quickly get to. It doesn’t show starred counts but that wasn’t important to me.

The only problem is I would have loved to put all those unread widgets in a single folder but that doesn’t work for the unread widget even though it does for the account widget.

1 Like

Steven, thanks for the input, but what you’re saying is that you got around the missing account overview by something that doesn’t work as you wished, and that doesn’t replace the account overview which wasn’t that important to you.
Maybe start another thread for that wish, because the developers seem to register only the comments that are FOR the new interface, in other words from the 141 previous comments yours will be proof for them that they are onto something.

I’m not sure you got the intent of my post. I went back to 5.6 for several reasons, the missing account overview was only one of them. But while I was still trying out 5.8, I used a workaround for the missing account overview by making a home page full of unread widgets. It’s actually pretty slick in that you can instantly see the unread counts of any of the folders/accounts you choose to look at and when you click on the widget it takes you right to that account/folder. Seeing the number of starred messages is nice but it’s the unread count that’s dynamically changing more frequently. I thought that would be useful for a percentage of people missing the account overview page but for other reasons, didn’t want to go back to 5.6.

The fact that I need to dedicate a screen instead of just a single folder for the widgets is a minor nit to me and that “bug” also exists in 5.6.

2 Likes

hey Steven, apologies, I understand now.
I’m also back to 5.6 and wish the developers could hear our plee. Every update of every app on the phone have to be updated manually to avoid K9 being also updated.
So thanks for explaining that workaround, if it was easier to jump from one version to the other I’d be tempted to try, in the meantime just hoping the developers come to their senses.

2 Likes

I’m back to 5.6 too.

2 Likes

No worries. You can actually try the workaround with 5.6 just to see how it would work if you still had 5 8 installed. It’s not as good as the overview page but at least it’s something. I also don’t like having to manually update other apps just to make sure K-9 stays at 5 6. Hopefully the developers will hear our pleas. I really want swipe to select the first message to come back, at least as an option.

Every update of every app on the phone have to be updated manually to avoid K9 being also updated.

No! Go to K9 in the Playstore and tap in the upper right right. Then, unset the checkbox “Enable auto-update”.

When you have a bunch of updates now, the Playstore will warn you, that there is an app with diasabled auto-update. Now, you can skip that update while all other apps will be updated.

I have two apps skipped like that (K9 and R2Mail2, both broken after recent GUI “improvements”).

2 Likes