Thunderbird (OpenPGP) -> OpenKeychain -> K9 đź’”

This thread is about me understanding the problem so I can better describe the issue and find the answer(s) if needed in other relevant forums ( openkeychain github , mozilla forums , etc )

Been scratching my head over this. This has worked in the past for me on my old android device(s) Thunderbird → OpenKeychain → K9

The problem lies somewhere between Thunderbird and OpenKeyChain … Before I post on the OpenKeyChain github and the thunderbird forums … I need to understand what went wrong, so I can ask the right question there.

Started second guessing myself ,but I followed the steps exactly as described in How to transfer - and 'confirm' - a key from Thunderbird? - #7 by cketti
also this very idiot proof walk-through of the process ( trust me I am the superior idiot :smiley: ) How to export your OpenPGP keypair from Thunderbird

If you’re using Thunderbird’s built-in OpenPGP support, open the “OpenPGP Key Manager”, select your own key, then select “Backup Secret Key(s) To File” from the “File” menu.

Thunderbird generates the correct file I guess myemail@gmail.com-(0x1234566756756856)-secret.asc

Here is where the problems start… Once imported the keys are stripped. OpenkeyChain claims its a private key but cannot decrypt messages in k9 ( key is working when I use it to decrypt the same email in thunderbird ). see image below

OpenKeyChain sees the key, and says its the secret key

OpenKeyChain has imported the key but it is stripped.

K9 sees the key

But K9 cannot decrypt the email , though Thunderbird using the same key is able to do decrypt it.

Something went wrong … but where. Apart from forum posts here and in other places, where can I find official documentation about “How to export OpenPGP keys from Thunderbird” ?

Looking forward to everyone’s feedback before opening an issue on the Openkeychain github

And will this OpenKeyChain man-in-the-middle thing be over when Thundebird finally eats and digests the K9 app ?

1 Like

It’s not a K-9 issue. OKC seems to see a stripped key, thus one should assume either a TB export issue or an OKC import issue.

edit/
I think that TB only exports your secret key and forgets to add the master. The way I understand it, TB generates multiple secrets for you based on a master key generating key.

1 Like

I think that TB only exports your secret key and forgets to add the master. The way I understand it, TB generates multiple secrets for you based on a master key generating key.

Thanks. Now I can take this and ask around in the mozilla forums. Because the community there would otherwise automatically blame OpenKeyChain and OpenKeyChain github would blame Thunderbird.

Think a sad Spidermen pointing at each other meme :disappointed:

1 Like