Specific SMTP for specific identity

It would be awesome if we could have SMTP server support. I, for example, forward all my emails to another email and need to send emails from that address. Look at this:

emails from me[at]example[.]com [gets forwarded to] some[at]domain[.]org.
when I want to reply, I need to reply from me[at]example[.]com.

Now I can add identities but it raises some problems and many of my emails will end up in junk folder. I need to send emails from that SMTP server on example[.]com. On Thunderbird, I have no problem because when I add identity in the software (not server), I can set specific SMTP server for it to use but on K-9, there’s no feature like this.

Can we please add a feature to set special SMTP server for an identity?

Thank you very much.

This is also posted as an issue on GitHub: /k-9/issues/5236

1 Like

I just realized my issue is an duplicate of #1117. It is still open since 2016. I think developers don’t have enough time to work on it. Sadly, I don’t know how to code for it, is there anybody that can help with bringing it, if the maintainers permit?

This issue has become much more a necessity. As many SMTP servers will now ether NOT allow FROM addresses that are not the login email address (e.g. smtp.aol.com) OR just replace the FROM with the login email address (e.g. smtp.gmail.com), the use of identities is essentially worthless on K9mail. On my desktop I use Thunderbird and I have had to setup different outbound SMTP servers for each identity.

1 Like

Is there a solution to this already?
As our provider (IONOS, Germany) will (for “security reasons”) change behaviour of their SMTP servers on 15.01.2024. From then on the sender address has to match the mailaccount address. As there are a lot of domains alltogether that I have to send mail on behalf of, I need to change many configurations now. I could configure most systems properly now, but failed on an older internal Mailserver AND on K-9 mail which we use on several phones. If only it would be like in Thunderbird (selectable SMTP server per identity) all would be good. But at the moment I just can imagine workarounds like introducing 20+ complete accounts in K-9 instead of only 2 now (business and personal). Already beeing an ugly solution, I think it’s not nice on selecting the relevant accounts then, UI-wise. So, does anybody know if this problem will be addressed, and when it would be available? I need to find solution in the next, say, 3 weeks. Otherwise: can anyone suggest a similar app that is capable of that, and not too far from the functionality of K-9? Thanks in advance for any help and comments!

OK, seems nothing is moving here. Any suggestions of good Android Apps capable of handling multiple accounts like that?

Try FairEmail.