Send Email in HTML

I have just recently installed K-9 Mail on my Pixel 3 Android phone. So far, so good. It is just that I would like to send my emails in HTML format. I have chosen that in the settings, but when I compose an email, I don’t see any formatting controls.

I have done a search in this forum on the subject but cannot get an answer.

Can someone please let me know how I can compose emails in HTML? Thanks in advance.

First, we need to see if you know the difference between Rich Text and Html.
Rich text and HTML are both formats used to display formatted text with other content such as images, links and tables. The difference between them is how they display formatted text.

Rich text is a format used by many word processing programs. It offers a large number of formatting options, such as bold, underline, italics, and font. Rich text documents can be saved in various formats.
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language), on the other hand, is a markup language used for creating web pages. HTML allows developers to format text with a variety of formatting options, such as font size, color, alignment, lists, tables, and hyperlinks. HTML also allows for the integration of multimedia content such as images, audio, and video files, as well as the creation of forms and interactions with users.

An important difference between rich text and HTML is that HTML is a structured language that allows content to be organized into logical blocks. HTML also provides the ability to style content using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to ensure consistent formatting throughout the web page.

First decide if you want to send web pages or just write your text in Richtext format.

RichText is an outdated, proprietary format by Microsoft that nobody uses anymore. Nowadays emails use either plain text or what you call “web pages” (eg HTML).

Rich text is not a proprietary format. Rich text is a general term that refers to text that contains formatting information, such as bold or italic text, font size and style, and paragraph alignment.

There are several file formats that can be used to store rich text, such as RTF (Rich Text Format), which was developed by Microsoft in the late 1980s. RTF is a cross-platform format that can be opened and edited by many different text editors and word processors.

Other file formats that support Rich Text include Microsoft Word’s DOC and DOCX formats, Apple’s Pages format, and the OpenDocument Text format used by LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

There are several RFCs that describe rich text formats. The most widely used and recognized rich text format is RTF (Rich Text Format), which is defined in RFC 7979.

RFC 7979 defines the syntax and semantics of RTF, a file format that stores rich text documents with formatting information. RTF is designed to be cross-platform and can be opened and edited with many different text editors and word processors.

Another RFC related to rich text is RFC 5147, which defines the Media Type for RTF. This RFC defines the MIME type for RTF files as “application/rtf”, which is used to identify RTF files in email attachments and other contexts.

In addition to RTF, there are many other rich text formats that are used in various applications and contexts. Some of these formats, such as Microsoft Word’s DOC and DOCX formats, have their own RFCs that describe their syntax and semantics.

@BazzaBoy: Right now K-9 Mail doesn’t support formatting text when composing messages.

@ecxod: How is any of what you wrote helpful to the question that was asked? If you can’t or don’t want to answer the question, please don’t post. As far as I can tell nobody has asked for your opinion on “rich text”.

4 Likes

For me, the most serious deficit of k9mail is the inability to format text (bold, underline, italic, strikethrough). K9mail has no problem displaying formatted text on incoming messages so it must not be a big deal to add an optional formatting bar to the message composition layout. I would be willing to code html tags or even markdown (though I find markdown arbitrary, ambiguous an inconsistently implemented) so long as I could be assured that the resulting messages would be formatted as requested on email clients that support formatting and not just displayed as plain text with lots of asterisks

3 Likes