Scroll Bar Option

I’m always hitting the scroll bar while stepping through messages. It’s aggravating to suddenly be 100s of messages from where you were.

A great option would be to allow toggling the bar to the right or left of the screen or even off all together. In reality the bar location should be located on the left of the screen for right handed people and the right side for left handed people.

4 Likes

Me too. Aggravating. I’d like the option to turn it off altogether. My new phone has a curved display and this happens more than ever. Please devs, an option to turn it off? Tx. Loving this new interface.

2 Likes

I recently reinstalled k9 and quickly realised this was the main reason I uninstalled it.

Why put the scroll bar on the right side of the screen, on a right-handed persons phone??? That’s where the thumb is, and my thumb isn’t as thin as my fingers.

Either Android needs changing, or this app does but my web browser doesn’t have a fit if I’m too close to the scroll bar - not even the scroll bars in other parts of the app!

It wouldn’t be half as annoying if it didn’t snap to your thumb position, jumping over potentially hundreds of emails by mistake.

If this interface issue gets no attention, I will just remove k9 again and blacklist it.

It seems that everybody else is happy with this quirk?

Not happy, but I do not run into very often.

But yes, you are right:

And spending an option if scrollbar is a good idea, too.
I never use it intentionally, that is what I have a touch screen for: I can touch and scroll anywhere :wink:

Edit: just found out for what I would use it: to scroll fast to the top or bottom of my mail list. But maybe for this better to show up/down buttons? This way it works in Signal messenger / Threema and I use it often.

1 Like

For me, most of the frustration is in the random and sudden chaos it makes of browsing emails or just using the interface.

It’s the inconsistency which gets my goat, because it is solely dependant on where my thumb is relative to the edge of the screen and I’m not a robot with perfectly accurate movements.

You’re the only person to respond to this post this year… Either people are getting the issue and just installing another application (most likely as it takes so much effort to tell the developers about it’s failures) or they’re putting up with it and not creating (yet another) online account to hopefully tell random people it’s not been working properly for over 2 years…

What’s the point, really??

Why would I support someone who doesn’t support me?..

1 Like

Or we simply don’t use scrollbars? I have NEVER used scrollbars in k-9 and probably in any Android app. Plus I don’t keep a bazillion emails on my phone - they get moved into storage folders on my PC w. Thunderbird where they stay, out of sight of any of my mobile devices.

Me neither - but every now and then me and my wife just hitting the edge of screen and the the list of mail jumps.

I only have the last 50 or so - but that is enough.

1 Like

If that were an option. On my Pixel 6 Pro (Vanilla Android; no custom ROM), scrollbars are automatically added and displayed by the OS as soon as the email list is longer than a screen can display.

The scrollbars are hidden until you start scrolling or touch the bar area. Nevertheless, if you accidentally touch the bar grabber, the email list goes all over the place depending on the length of the email list (or in reverse: depending on the size of the grabber, as it decreases in size with rising email count).

1 Like

I can get much worse. The distance between the star icon and the scrollbar is so small that there is a very big chance of causing uncontrolled scroll activities when trying to star/unstar a message. I had to permanently disabled the show of stars to keep my sanity. The worst part about this is that the scrollbar disappears and after accidentally scrolling it is very difficult to see how far down the display has gone haywire. Some larger separation between star and scrollbar is needed to solve this problem.