Push notifications and folder poll frequency

hello i am a beginner. I was wondering if you enable push notifications, will folder poll frequency still serve any at any purpose? this is now set to 30 minutes. Can I also disable this and continue to receive push notifications?

I keep Poll enabled just in case Push doesn’t work for some reason (looking at you Gmail!). I don’t see any reason to disable it but sure, if your provider is reliable with Push then you can disable it.

1 Like

[EDIT: as pointed out by cketti below, this information applies to v5.600. Newer versions have different behavior.]

Push (IMAP IDLE) only works when the connection is active. If you lose connection, any messages that arrive while the connection is lost will not get pushed, even when the connection is regained. This is why there’s a “poll when connecting for push” setting. You could use that, but if you lose connection frequently (or transition between wifi and cellular frequently), it could cause more data usage than a periodic poll. I personally have push enabled, keep poll set at 6 hours, and turn off the “poll when connecting for push” setting. If getting timely email notifications is more important to you, set poll to the max time you’d be willing to wait to see a missed email.

1 Like

Push and Poll can both be enabled mostly for historical reasons. When only the Inbox is synced automatically, there’s no reason to have them both enabled.

The set of folders to check via Push and Poll can be different. So there are configurations where it could make sense to have both enabled.

Push (IMAP IDLE) only works when the connection is active. If you lose connection, any messages that arrive while the connection is lost will not get pushed, even when the connection is regained.

This hasn’t been true for quite a while. K-9 Mail will download new messages as soon as the connection can be re-established.

This is why there’s a “poll when connecting for push” setting.

This setting has been removed 3 years ago.

Please don’t give advice on how to use K-9 Mail if you use an outdated version of the app. That is more likely to confuse users than it is to help them.

1 Like

Many thanks for the advice