just wanted to tell you that one-time donation via liberapay is very discouraging.
- I have to open a new account (that alone is a dealbreaker for many)
- The page really wants you to join a subscription model and the user is not assured what happens when clicking a further button
- The page doesn’t have “going back” or “cancel” buttons e.g. from print view or in a donation process (best practice is to never use the browser’s “back” button on banking sites) which also leaves you unsure about what inputs are saved and confirmed an which may be overridden
My personal experience:
I wanted to pay by “Überweisung” but then only “Lastschrift” was available which wants me to give a “Lastschriftmandat” to another third company… Not doing that, so I wanted to change to paypal (they already have my data).
In the Liberapay account paypal is not offered as paying method anymore (but it has been before!) so I first have to set up a connection to the paypal account which is located in the “revenues” menu which makes no sense as I don’t want to earn something but donate something.
To finally make the donation, I had to “renew my payment” which is also misleading as I only wanted to trigger the already ordered payment. I didn’t want to renew it since it should be manual renewal for every month and it’s not clear if the button renews it for the next month.
Alternative paying methods to consider:
- Paypal direct email address transfer
- Direct banking transfer (yes, you have to provide account data)
- For Germany: Giropay (like banking transfer but easier and no third party included and already enabled for most german banks)
- For Europe Sofortüberweisung
IMHO Liberapay looks like another patreon or flattr service which have their right to exist but I’d consider it a mistake to rely on one service.
Make it easy to donate, the many small one-timers will make up a big percentage of the overall sum.
Thanks for maintaining and developing K-9 Mail.