No POP3 email from IONOS/GMX - "Unable to execute POP3 command"

See Can't connect to POP3 server (IONOS, GMX, maybe others) · Issue #5879 · k9mail/k-9 · GitHub

Unless the providers will change their server software again, you’ll have to wait for an update of K-9 Mail to fix this issue. The plan is to release a new beta version later today.

Update: The providers probably also support IMAP. You could try setting up the account to use IMAP. That’s a far better choice when using K-9 Mail anyway.

Just to add mine to list, having same issues with Ionos using Samsung Note 10, K9 5.806, speed working from this morning.
Samsung email app can access emails on ionos server using what appear to be same settings as used on K9.
No issues accessing on outlook on Laptop.
Will look out for update to K9

1 Like

Same problem here: Galaxy S10, Android 12, GMX, POP3
K9-Mail v5.909

Sending works.
Retrieving not working.

Hopefully this get fixed fast.

1 Like

Same here, two different phones (Samsung S8, Honor 8), two different providers (GMX and private domain at a local provider).
Creating new account fails as well.

1 Like

Same Problem here, on two different phones and multiple Mail-Adresses

Connecting via POP3 to GMX Mailserver fails with same Error-Message

1 Like

The latest beta version should fix the issue. Beta: K-9 Mail 5.910

3 Likes

Confirmed working for me. Huge thank you for jumping on this so fast.

Beta resolved the issue for me too. Thanks for resolving it so quickly.

I have same problem. Pixel 6 Android 12. Started couple of days ago. Will try beta

Please stop posting that you’re experiencing the same issue. This information is not useful to anyone and is only adding noise. The problem has been identified and a fix is available in the latest beta version (5.910).
If that fix doesn’t work for you, please do let us know.

If we don’t get reports of the fix breaking things for other users, we’ll release a new stable version (5.807) with the fix in the coming days.

4 Likes

Same issue on my Samsung A41 and A51, K-9 Ver. 5.806. It looks like a general issue for all IONOS users, other devices works well with the same mail-account.
You better solve the issue soon! Otherwise I will be forced to use another mail-app on the mobile phone.

Installed the Beta Version 5.910 - the mail app works smoothely as before…

I’ve had exactly the same problem since Monday 24th January. K9 will not work on ionos pop3 accounts.

But K9 works with Ionos imap configurations for the same email accounts, so does that mean it is something Ionos has changed, not a problem with K9?

I have the same problem since today with 3 android devices. No mail receipt. I installed another app as a test and configured an existing mail account with POP3 and it works. All mail clients on Windows devices (Thunderbird/Outlook 2021) work perfectly with this POP3 account. (IONOS/1&1) in Germany !! So it’s pretty sure it’s K9!

Supplement: Without changes, an account of 3 now goes with the reception. If you go into the configuration settings of all three accounts and check the reception settings, all three still show a POP3 error “Unable to execute POP3 command”. Furthermore, after deleting the mail on the Windows desktop, it will continue to be displayed in the app. The settings should also delete this after a new sync!

This was caused by a change in server configurations that gmx and ionos made. See the 5.910 beta version released yesterday (url above) or wait a day or two for that to be released as the new production version.

1 Like

Supplement 2: K9 Beta works

Auf meinem Galaxy Tab S7+5G funktioniert die Beta-Version von heute. Auf meinem Galaxy S10+ (beide Android 12) bekomme ich weiterhin den POP3 Server-Fehler.

Confirm (in settings/about) that you are using the updated beta 5.910 on your Galaxy S10+. [It should reload automatically after the application is updated.]

If you are, then please provide details on your mail service provider, ports, security settings, etc. – see my list in the second post, above.

There is no beta Version in Google App store available for me.
Besides, Why is there no error message anyway? I only found out about the issue because people complained about missing answers. Otherwise I would not have noticed the missing Mails at all. Other mailing Apps inform users about errors… Could you please add this Feature to this Great App?

See the announcement of the new production release, which addresses the gmx/ionos pop3 issue, in forum item 4056.