Mixed languages in folder names (German UI)

In the folders list for my account I have the following folder names:

Posteingang
Postausgang
drafts
sent
Trash
spamverdacht
virenverdacht

When I switch the UI language to English I get:

Inbox
Outbox
drafts
sent
Trash
spamverdacht
virenverdacht

So it seems like the only ones that get translated are the Inbox and Outbox names.

What causes this and how can I correct it? Is it a bug or just my installation that’s screwy? Does this happen with other language UI’s?
Thanks for any help.

I’m using Android 8.0 and K9 v.6.00.
And one more thing that might be helpful in solving the problem: this mixing of language only occurs here with the folder names. Everything else in the interface and the settings appears in German without any mixing of English.

This is the intended behavior.

Inbox

In the IMAP protocol the name of the Inbox folder is case-insensitive and reported by most servers as INBOX (with all capital letters). Because that doesn’t look great in the user interface, we’re making an exception there and display a localized name.

Outbox

The Outbox is a special local folder in K-9 Mail. It stores messages until they could be handed off to the outgoing mail server. Since there is no corresponding folder on the server, we’re using a localized name.

All other folders

For all other (special) folders we use the name of that folder on the server as is. If you want the folder names to be different, rename them on the server. Please note that you might have to update the special folder mapping in K-9 Mail afterwards, see Account settings - K-9 Mail.

1 Like

Ahh, thanks for the reply and all the helpful information. That explains the behavior of the Outbox, Inbox and spamverdacht, virenverdacht. And of course that’s right - there is no Outbox folder on the server itself.

But the other three folders displayed in K-9 - drafts, sent, and Trash - are labeled Entwürfe, Gesendete, and Papierkorb, resp., on the server. At least that is what shows on the web interface for the account (freenet.de). It’s possible, though, that internally on the server they have the English names. There is no way to view internally what is going on and there is no option to change the names of these folders on the server. They are created automatically with the account.
You can, however, create new folders and name them whatever you want, so that would be a workaround. I could create 3 new folders with German names and then map them for sent mail, drafts, and trash in K-9. But I’ll just leave things the way they are for now. It’s simpler that way! At least I understand what is going on now.
Thanks again!