Meaning of #3# error code

Dear K9-community,

I’m having trouble when trying to connect to an map incoming server within K9. This might be an issue with the mailserver I’m trying to connect to, it’s my university’s server, (here is their (German) HowTo)) – I double checked all my inputs and I already contacted the university IT. Not knowing when they will get back to me, however, I would like to understand the error message I’m getting.

Expected behaviour: K9 logs on to the imap incoming server and can receive messages.

Actual behaviour: When setting up the incoming server, I get the following error message from K9:

Setup could not finish Cannot connect to server. (Command continuation aborted: #3# [NO, AUTHENTICATE mechanism not supported, mate])

Messing around with some the settings has not been successful so far. When I just press continue, the incoming server is not be set up. The outgoing server works fine and I can send mails, just not receive them.

System: Android version 10; K9 version: 5.804

I would love to know what mechanism the error code refers to and what might be the problem. Any suggestions?

All the best
Thomas

Dear community,

following the advice of my local IT support I changed from STARTTLS to SSL which fixed my problem. So I guess ‘mechanism not supported, mate’ refers to the mechanism used for encryption.

Case closed :slight_smile:

All the best
Thomas

1 Like

That’s exactly what AUTHENTICATE mechanism not supported means.

1 Like