K9 tries to sync when connection is OFF

Hi,
with latest update I get this BIG problem:
with connection OFF kmail still tries to sync, it stays active for a very long time and drains battery!!

Normally (in most previuos versions) when I turn on connection sync starts.

I have android 10 and k9 mail 5.902

Best Regards

Can you describe the problem in more detail?

1. What account type are you using? How did you configure K-9 Mail? Polling? Push? How many folders?
  2. What do you mean by “connection OFF”? Did you turn on airplane mode?
  3. What do you mean by “stays active for a very long time”? How do you determine that the app “stays active”?
  4. Can you be more specific about the battery drain? Do you only check the battery usage reported by the system app or do you notice the device not lasting as long as it did previously?

Hi,
thanks for interest!

1. I have 4 accounts (yahoo, gmail, libero, hotmail, it’s been like that for at least 2 years), polling every 12hours for all accounts and all folders, no push.
  2. not airplain, phone is on but data (connection to internet) is usually off, I turn it on 2-3 times a day.
  3. Usually when I turn data on kmail starts to check mail and then stopped until next time I turn data on again.
    Now I turn on data in morning and check mail then turn data off, but after 4-5 hours I find the notification turning arrows (like when kmail check mail) and it just dosent stop, after 30min notification is still there and battery has lost over 10% or more charge.
  4. It runs down battery in 1 day (battery usually lasts 3 days). I have to kill kmail for this to stop.

So why dose it try to check mail if the is no data connection? and why after less than the 12 hours I set anyway?

Let me know if you need any other detail! Thanks

1. Synchronizing all folders can cause a lot of data to be transmitted.
  2. How exactly do you accomplish this (What phone model are you using? What’s the functionality called)? Do you disable “mobile data”? In that case K-9 Mail will happily use a WiFi connection if available.

K-9 Mail should not check mail if there’s no network connection. However, it will use any network that is available.
The app will usually also respect the sync interval. However, K-9 Mail will retry after 5 minutes and then in increasing intervals if the previous mail check has failed.

You can gather more information by record a debug log. See LoggingErrors · k9mail/k-9 Wiki · GitHub

PS: There is an email app called KMail. Depending on the context it can be very confusing if you refer to K-9 Mail as “kmail”.

Hi,

1. No problem I have 30GB data and use less than half.
  2. Yes exactly, I disable mobile data, wifi is always off because I don’t have any wifi.

P.S. Sorry didn’t know…will say k9 :slight_smile: