K-9 Not Working With Microsoft Exchange Email Servers

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum but I’ve been using K-9 for awhile. I have a linux smartphone running lineage OS. Recently, godaddy has been making upgrades to its Email servers to make them more compatible with Outlook 365 Microsoft Exchange. With this upgrade in place now, all godaddy customers have to reinstall all of their Email accounts on all of their devices that access godaddy MS Exchange Email servers. In order for me to continue using K-9, I had to delete all of my Email accounts and reinstall them. During the Email account install process apps that will work with the new godaddy upgrades will ask if the user wants to connect to Microsoft Exchange when accessing Email. This is not an option that exists during email setup in he current version of K-9, therefore the app fails to connect to the godaddy email servers. K-9 worked with godaddy Email servers before this upgrade but now it doesn’t. Can someone look into this and update K-9 to work with Microsoft Exchange servers?

Thanks!

K-9 is a standards-based IMAP/POP client. If your provider’s mail server is operated to those standards it will (mostly - OAuth2 being an issue) work with K-9. MS-exchange can be operated compliant to IMAP/POP standards or in MS-proprietary mode (or compatible with both). You should ask godaddy if their mail servers are still IMAP compliant, and if so the settings for that. If they are operating in only MS-proprietary mode then K-9 is no longer your mail client.

2 Likes

The preferable alternative being: then GoDaddy is no longer your email provider. YMMV

True. I was just trying to keep to the facts within the implied godaddy mail context.

I suspect that their rather customer-unfriendly mail account change (delete/recreate) could have many of their users rethinking continued use of their services.

I will talk to them today. Bear in mind that hosting companies generally provide a spectrum of internet services in a discounted price bundle. It would be impractical to extract Email services when it is part of a bundled package deal. The net result will be a higher cost if they keep the price the same minus Email access. You will need to pay for Email service someplace else. The price could go higher if you break-up the bundle and sign up for each service individually. I think if MS Exchange gets more pervasive throughout hosting companies then it will be K-9 that people will stop using. I urge you to not set this issue aside until it’s too late.

1 Like

As I said to njeyaakili, hosting companies generally provide a spectrum of internet services in a discounted price bundle. It would be impractical price-wise to extract Email services from the bundle when it is part of a packaged deal, like my account. The net result will be a higher costs if they keep the price the same minus Email access because one will need to pay for Email service someplace else. The price could go even higher if you break-up the bundle and sign up for each service individually and then find another Email service. I think if MS Exchange gets more pervasive throughout hosting companies then it will be K-9 that people will stop using. I wouldn’t write this development off as something not to be concerned about. I’ve checked several Email apps that don’t use have GSF or trackers and none can work with MS Exchange. The first one that can will have a big advantage.

I think you have that backward. People use crap like TicTok, Facebook, Instagram, etc because it does what they want despite any privacy issues. I’m not an advocate for Godaddy but they provide a lot more than K-9, especially if you use them for your business like I do. It’s easier to kiss K-9 goodbye. You have a good app and I wish I can still use it, but don’t sit on your laurels and do nothing. It’s worth investigating this to stay relevant.

2 Likes

I’m with Pete. It looks like I am also a customer K-9 lost for this reason. I’ve been happy with K-9 generally and really don’t want to look for email app for my phone.

At least I found my answer before going in circles to solve this. Thanks Pete.

1 Like

It’s now Feb-2023 and I’m using K-9 v6.400 with GoDaddy! hosted Office365/Outlook365 e-mail.

These are the server settings (which finally work)!

Incoming settings
Server name: outlook.office365.com (POP/IMAP)

Port:
POP: 995 with SSL selected
IMAP: 993 with SSL selected

Encryption method:
TLS (POP/IMAP)

Outgoing settings
Server name: smtp.office365.com

Port:

Encryption method:
STARTTLS

It is now May 2023. It was not enough that GoDaddy took away Workspace email after bundling it for so many years and forced us into the Microsoft GARBAGE (do not even get me started on the lack of an actual “Catch All” account). Today Microcrap announced that in two weeks POP/IMAP will no longer be allowed.

Now what?

Well, it’s been just about a year now. I’ve decided to ditch GoDaddy and I migrated my domain and website over to a new hosting company. They have no plans to force Microsoft 360 onto their customers. So, I wound up doing what njeyaakili suggested even though I have mixed feeling about it. My advice to people experiencing a similar problem is to leave GoDaddy if you value your privacy. Go to a smaller (and obscure) hosting company that is off the radar.