K-9 Mail is back (5.800 release)

You better might have forked K-9 into what you like to have instead of destroying the workflow of so many now disappointed user out there. But may be this is the start of something else based on the 5.600 sources, Time will tell.

6 Likes

A few?

Are you blind?

6 Likes

My BS detector is above the 100% mark.
2 days ago you wanted to know why people wanted it back as you hadnā€™t quite grasped the explanations in the 100s of messages.
Now that you have (or still may not) have understood why, you say you never cared what people wanted.
You just worked for 2 years with beta testers just for your own use. Interesting.
Anyway, no hard feelings, thanks for the work youā€™ve done it has helped several millions of people with their emails.
The few ones that used it with several email accounts will find a way Iā€™m sure .
Seriously, thanks !

6 Likes

It sounds like there wasnā€™t a fork (yet) because the developers liked the new direction.

I agree that OSS follows the itch to scratch model.

While I donā€™t like the new change (and have downgraded), cketti prefers it, and with OSS itā€™s the developers that matter, not users.

One question cketti alluded to, is how much would money would it take to add feature x? Iā€™ve participated in other projects where a gofundme was used to add features.

Hopefully feature x could be added to the main project and not require a fork. That way everyone wins.

(post 0111 1111!)ā€¦ Oopsā€¦ Post 127 is now 124

1 Like

Your ā€˜major redesignā€™ is major disappointment

4 Likes

Itā€™s an open source project so gathering funds to pay a developer to implement it sounds totally worth exploring. Surely some of the self professed ā€œsuper usersā€ would be willing to throw some funds behind it. Perhaps open a bounty on bountysource that everyone could contribute to? https://www.bountysource.com/teams/k9mail

In any case the main devs are exploring the idea of bringing it back themselves:

1 Like

If its just a private project, why put it on the play store in the first case?

@cketti if the account overview is coming back, please notify us. I am sure many users would be grateful.

2 Likes

i would also be very interested in what it would cost to:

• bring back the account overview
  • move the message controls back to the bottom of the screen
  • fix the dark theme contrast
  • allow users to not have the swing-out side panel
8 Likes

OK, so letā€™s please get serious here. This is just about the most arrogant and dismissive statement one could make in this moment. And as everyone can plainly see here in the forums, it is blatantly false.

There are scores and scores of posts by users that range from disappointed to utterly outraged that their email client has become practically unusable.

Please point to the scores and scores of posts and threads praising (or even offering scant tolerance) for the redesign.

Or we could simply put a poll on the forums. Gather hard numbers, if you like. I realize that the fact of tempers running hot right now is likely to contribute to only the most extreme voices responding (and that people who are upset at something are more likely to speak out than those who are quietly accepting something) but stillā€¦ is there any reason to object to asking the userbase what they actually want instead of making a mere assumption? (An assumption that certainly has the appearance of being terribly wrong)

13 Likes

As a long time user (and no I am not a developer because I have never had the need before) I was shocked at the dumbing down of the user interface.

Not only has the Unified Inbox caused me confusion, the hiding of the encryption options (why I use K9 in the first place), and even the moving of buttons from where they have been to where they shouldnā€™t be.

ā€œThereā€™s only a few people using the app that donā€™t like the direction the app is going.ā€
Really? Would you please point me at the user poll that shows that? I mean, you must have some evidence for that claim or surely you wouldnā€™t have made it.

You said ā€œI develop for meā€ which is fine, but if you take over as lead developer on an existing project you are also developing for all of the other users. Not taking current users into account just shows that you shouldnā€™t be leading a project.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s wrong. Take a look at GitHub and see yourself

I really hope they quickly add the ability to view only unread email so I can select them all.

Since I may have 90 new emails and there may only be three or four that I actually want to look at I like being able to select everything go through it and then unselect the ones I actually want to look at and then delete everything selected, this will leave the three or four emails I actually want to look at in the inbox where I can view them.

1 Like

Why have you removed the long push feature of selecting all messages from same sender? It was the reason I kept K-9 over other email applications. It saddens me that this feature is gone. Also, why cannot you view you starred messages separately? Why would you flag then?

Thanks,

SM

1 Like

ā€œThereā€™s only a few people using the app that donā€™t like the direction the app is going.ā€

I would venture to say there are even fewer developers that do. If this was just to suit the needs of those developers, make your own fork, for your own needs and not ambush the rest of us.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Heā€™s the original developer, is he not? So itā€™s his decision to make. His generosity to offer it as open source allows others to fork and build something different.

Iā€™ve tried a few different apps in the last few days, because I wanted to broaden my horizon, and just installed the latest version of K-9 again. So everyone make their own decision.

Itā€™s only partly his fault that Google Play does not allow downgrades, but thereā€™s F-Drois for that. You guys also have to accept every change Gmail makes to their appā€¦ Why should it be different here, EXCEPT that the open source nature gives you the possibility to fork it at an earlier stage, if someone is willing to put on the effort to bring it up to date so that it can be released in Play Store again.

2 Likes

I beleive the original developer is Jesse Vincent (of Perl fame) who published his source code to GitHub back in 2008 and appears to have continued being the lead developer until v4.901 in 2014.

Edit: Some interesting history about the motivations behind K-9 here.

3 Likes

K9-Bling hahaha :laughing:
with the new FUI

What I have learnt here today. The attitude of the developer(s) is theyā€™re riding in a spaceship far away from earth. He/they made clear they are developing k-9 for themselves, not for anyone else. Users wishes, download counts, Likes/Dislikes are irrelevant. Well, thank you cketti for being honest. Iā€™m trying to move back to 5.6 and if it doesnā€™t work, then thatā€™s been it. What a pity.

2 Likes

Thanks for correcting me there!

Intersting read, thanks.

2 Likes