K-9 Mail is back (5.800 release)

Hello,

trying to install this update crashes my Moto G8 Plus with Android 10.
It forces a reboot of the Phone.

2 Likes

Sorry to insist on this, but any idea why f-droid is not getting the latest release? Is it just too slow to build new releases or could something have gone wrong? Is there any way to see the build queue/results/status for a particular release?

1 Like

These are questions for F-Droid. They build and sign the app themselves. They’re not usually fast. 2-3 days between updates is not unusual.

1 Like

I’ve used K9 for nigh on 10 years now and have always loved it… Like a true K9 friend it’s been loyal and dependable throughout, which is partly why I feel so disappointed with the 5.8 release… I’ve only been using it 10 minutes and already found two highly undesirable features - the action bar being at the top of the screen and permanent notification when configured for push notifications. I always try and be constructive with feedback but it’s hard to find a positive angle to add here and so will just be honest and say I’m not keen! (Truth be told these could be showstoppers and so I might end up looking elsewhere and mark the end of an era. I won’t be so crass as to ask for recommendations here though!)

25 Likes

That’s a requirement by Google to be able to still upload updates. You can hide the useless notification without affecting other K-9 notifications. For details, just click the notification.

1 Like

Thanks @ByteHamster for the reply and suggestion but I’d read the push guidance page but it seems it might be written for a newer version Android than what I’m running (7.0) as I don’t get the granular notification control described; all I get is the ability to disable all notifications from K-9 which then removes the instant notification for new mail. I’ve basically got all or nothing.

1 Like

Just seeing the new version. I see you can drag down on a folder to force a poll, but how do you get it to poll all folders?

Same mechanism. Pull down the list of folders in the side drawer. Same thing works on the list of accounts.

I have multiple email accounts and not using the Unified Inbox. I am having the following issues with the new version:
Accounts Overview: it is very hard to reach: when in Inbox (or other) folder, i have to tap the menu, then the space between the colored icons in the top row. Only now I see the full list of accounts, together with number of unread emails. When I select another account, I then still need to tap Inbox or the Back button to see the list of messages. So, switching accounts used to be two trivial taps (Back, then select account in Account Overview and land immediately in its Inbox) is now four careful taps all over the place.
Folder Display: the account colors are gone – I can no longer see what account I’m looking at (again, this is an issue just for those not using the Unified Inbox). Other thing is that the message list has a grey background, lowering contrast. I understand the need to differentiate the message list from the folder name on the top, but it could have been done the other way around: grey for the top bar with the folder name and keeping the highest contrast for the important stuff – the messages below. Or use just a small drop shadow under the folder name line.

13 Likes

This was the same in old versions. If you disable changing the background based on read/unread state, all backgrounds are white instead of grey.

2 Likes

Same here, forces reboot and states that the installation failed; repeatedly. LG G7 ThinQ, Android 10.

1 Like

Great overhaul. Besides some missing things (account overview) great work. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Oh dear, what have you done?!
Using k9 since what it feels like forever (since 1st mobile!)

The UI overhaul is a disaster!
I’m using 12 mail accounts with k9 without unified inbox and navigation always was fast, intuitive and easy.
Now I need to fiddle with an unusable hamburger menu, the back button is of no use anymore and the action bar on top is a bad joke!
No more swiping to select a mail

Who was the master of desaster here? Why? So why did you do this? Was there any need to make something good and usable that worth?

32 Likes

I liked my list of multiple accounts. Press it, go into it. Back takes you to the account list. This new method is just plain cumbersome.

16 Likes

I appreciate the efforts and have just signed up as a donor. However - I am missing the old UI and have downgraded to 5.600 and wait for a 5.x with the old UI included.

13 Likes

Same for me. During the installation of 5.8 update from GO the phone freezes and reboots. Redmi Note 8T, Android 10, MIUI 12.0.3 stable

Ah, now I see: in the light theme, the unread messages are indeed white. But in the dark theme, the read messages are grey and the unread messages are even lighter shade of grey instead of black.
Anyway, here is a list of little tweaks that would, IMHO, make the users of no Unified Inbox like myself (maybe make them depend on the Unified Inbox being not set?) much happier and hopefully not break anything else:

• Make the Back button in the Inbox view show the Accounts Overview pane (see my first post) instead of quitting the app,
  • Tapping the account in the Accounts Overview pane would go directly to the Inbox (saves a tap in switching accounts),
  • Show the little color bars everywhere – not just in Unified Inbox – so that it is immediately obvious what account the messages belong to.
5 Likes

I am having issues navigating too.

It seems like I have to do 4 key-presses to be able to go to a specific inbox.

I’m also having issues, that I now have to use two hands to do this (due to a large phone). < 5.8 I could use one hand to check the email messages.

Is it possible to transfer the menu to the right hand side?

2 Likes

New interface is more gmail lookalike which probably can ease a way for some users, but I see this as a huge step back. K9 have its own users - those who need a robust reliable adjustable instrument. Which we had for so many years. Modern communication applications are focused on small-talks, emojis, and all sorts of fun to attract young auditory with plenty of free time. Unfortunately this approach shifts aim of developers from making a good instrument for certain task to making an all in one toy. And with a great horror I see a step of K9 toward this toy.

Version 5.6 suit me quite well. Several bugs probably must be fixed, but I don’t see any need for UI revolution.

One more thing I have to underline - making a clone of some big application is a way to step in a shadow of this application. Many teams made this choice, and I cant name anyone who succeeded (opera browser for instance). It is an option for first step when you have nothing, but when you have your own community and loyal users, it quite might be a great mistake.

25 Likes

It’s all been said by the majority of long-time users with many email accounts. Dropping the accounts overview that you return back to is inexcusable.

In one (German) word: verschlimmbessert!

This should not have been released as an update but as a new app (K-10? K-Ah?) that people may or may not migrate to.

18 Likes