K-9 Mail crashes right after "welcome screen"

Hi all,
since a few weeks the K-9 Mail App did not send/receive E-Mails anymore. For instance, that means that when I tried to send an email it appeared in the “outbox” folder, but was never sent.

I tried to fix it by uninstalling K9 and installing it again to version 6.802. Since then, after I am on the “welcome screen” and I click on the first button to set up the app, it crashes and closes.

I tried rebooting, deleting app data and cache of K9 app. And I tried installing many older versions of the app, but it still they crashed the same way. I also tried reinstalling the Android System WebView App (and also older versions), but nothing changed.

I am really stuck now and I would appreciate any help. I really love the app and would like to continue using it.

My device: Unihertz Titan Pocket, Android 11

Kind regards,
Flo

1 Like

Please record a debug log and create a new issue on GitHub. See LoggingErrors · thunderbird/thunderbird-android Wiki · GitHub

Hi, i have the same bug. Titan Pocket as well. Is there any workaround or update scheduled to iron out this bug? Many thanks.

Hello, I found out the issue. adb logs displayed the following error at startup:

java.lang.SecurityException: Not allowed to bind to service Intent { act=android.support.customtabs.action.CustomTabsService pkg=org.cromite.cromite }

Same issue when validating oauth requests in FairEmail.

I had Chrome disabled; after reenabling (and setting as default browser, not sure it fhis is required), the issue is gone. After authenticating with oauth, you can disable it back.

If you dislike Chrome but want apps that rely on the built-in engine, you can install Google Webview from the Paly Store. That way, the browser engine is available without the need for the entire Chrome browser to be enabled.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I have “Android system webview” already installed (version 126 something). It does not fix the issue.

In fact, k-9 starts crashing again after I change my default browser (even with Chrome and Webview installed)