K-9 Exchange server option is not showing

I want to add exchange server but its showing me options of I MAP and POP3 no exchange option?

Exchange is not supported.

Which should definitely be changed. Support AWS/Active Sync now.

K-9 Mail will focus on open email standards. Exchange ActiveSync is not on that list.

1 Like

I’ve a school account, which is set up in Outlook (offlie office package installation) as an exchange account, and is full functional (incoming, outgoing).
In K9 I’ve set up incoming email to IMAP-Server “outlook.office365.com” (with SSL/TLS port 993) and full email adress as user name and password. This is functioning !!!
But outgoing setup don’t go, although choosen setup

SMTP-Server = “smtp.office365.com” (with STARTTLS port 587; autenthication not checked)

is passing the server test after clicking on the ‘further’-button (without notification of an error !).
But nevertheless the email over this account remains in the outgoing-folder and isn’t actually sent.

Could you please give me a reply, what is the reason. As mentioned above it couldn’t be “a half” support of exchange (only incoming), or?
Best regards

By:

with STARTTLS port 587; autenthication not checked

I assume you mean that the “Require sign-in” box isn’t checked.

If so, I wouldn’t expect things to work as no self-respecting MSP (at least any that what to have a chance of not ending up on blocklists) will allow unauthenticated users to send mail through their servers. You will need to enable “require sign-in” and provide the appropriate credentials.

If I do so - check the box “require sign-in” - (with same user name and password as in incoming settings), I get the error “user name or password wrong … SmtpClientAuthentication is disabled for the Tenant. … …
Enable or disable SMTP AUTH in Exchange Online | Microsoft Docs” !

In outlook (office package as mentioned above) does outgoing email function over this exchange account.
What does this mean ?

From the error message you included, it appears that your institution has disabled the standards-based imap/pop “submissions” protocol. This is controlled by the administrator and set either globally or at the mailbox/account level. You will need to talk with your mail system administrator to see if they can provide you with an option that will work with the K9 - imap/pop standards-based “submission” protocol.

Many thanks for your answer.

Today Microsoft announced that in two weeks POP/IMAP will no longer be allowed.

Now what?

Could you please send a link as reference?

From the email sent this morning:

Update your settings to keep your email app access working.
There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 05/19/2023. You’ll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail — don’t worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings.

https://productivity.godaddy.com/app/basicauthupdate

The phrasing of the text is made scary and confusing on purpose.

If you read exactly what they mean, it only says Basic is going away. K-9 supports OAuth with IMAP, so no change required. Unless of course, you are one of those Basic users.

P.S.: Please try to keep the forum organised and don’t post the same information in three threads. Users looking for information through the search function will thank you.

2 Likes

From the linked site:

Microsoft 365 accounts set up as POP and IMAP will no longer connect to their mailboxes in email clients using Basic authentication. Outlook, Mac Mail, and other clients or programs that don’t support modern authentication (OAuth) for POP and IMAP won’t support these accounts.

K-9 Mail supports OAuth. See How do I add an Office365 account?

Also consider switching to an email provider that doesn’t make it incredibly hard to use a third-party email client via open protocols.

2 Likes

Thank you for that link.