Import POP3 email

Hi there, fantastic app.

I have all my emails in a local folder / mail file from Thunderbird and i would like to have it also in K9.
How can i import the mail manually into K9? Maybe just putting in a folder like thunderbird?

Thank you in advance for your support.

1 Like

K-9 Mail doesn’t support importing (or exporting) emails. We don’t want K-9 Mail to be a client where you download and remove messages from the server to manage them locally. Because of that it’s very likely we’ll remove POP3 support eventually. So if you want to keep using this model you should probably switch to a different email client.

If you’re fine with switching to IMAP you should be able to use Thunderbird to upload the messages to the server and then download them by setting up the IMAP account in K-9 Mail.

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with checking one of four POP3 accounts

Could it be a solution if I change the email storage from phone to SD?
Will the app move all the actual folder DB to sd or it will save only the new email?

Rgds

I just checked with samsung official Help desk and they assured me that there’s no possibility for any phone brand to save emails in their memory.
All emails (also in POP3) are saved on App servers. Is there a possibility to recover the server folder on another device?

Rgds

If you have a mail client that complies with the POP3 protocol, it will store the messages in “device-local” storage – that’s the way that protocol is defined. Obviously, if the device has limited storage capacity that’s not a wise approach, and hence most mobile device mail clients don’t really support POP3. Also, as mobile devices have a relatively short (and often somewhat fragile) life span, holding your archives on one is fairly risky.

In general, I think you would be better off moving your mail to an IMAP account as that is (well, should be) more robust and stable than keeping copies of your mail on every device you want to view it on.

Most IMAP clients (K-9 included) will do some level of mail caching so you can view your recently pulled messages without having to re-pull them from the server and so can view them in “off-line” mode, e.g., in a connectivity-free environment like while on a plane.

Its a real pity!
Why dont you want that?
At least from a FLOSS application that is moreover now maintained by Thunderrbird developers I would have expected a more userfriendly solution and more compatibility!

POP3 or an email service that allows keeping permanent copies of all sent and received emails on your local storage is the only best solution for privacy and security oriented people!

I personally don’t want to leave my emails on any server longer than needed, i.e. until download to my own local storage.

With plenty of flash memory space available in todays modern mobiles and PCs its quite easy to have a copy of your emails over the last several years on your PC and phone. Usually I keep all emails on my PC and delete everything older than 3 years on my phone to save memory. Emails are downloaded via POP3 by phone and PC and afterwards they’ll get deleted automatically on the server. So the server just has some emails of the last 24h. I feel much more comfortable with that procedure and have also identical copies (with e.g. auto bcc to my own address for sent emails) on both machines.

I don"t understand how someone can store emails via IMAP for several years on an email server of a company he hardly knows with a server probably located in anorher country…Server side encryption isn’t very secure either, since you have to still trust the company incl. all its employees and other (5, 7, 12?) eyes that might be also interested in your mails. The only safe way to send emails anyway is to end-to-end encrypt/decrypt them with a strong algorythm and passphraae (by sender/receiver). With POP3 one can reduce the risk of emails getting in the wrong hands significantly and on top of that has full control over his emails, even offline.

What I also can’t understand is, that there is no Android email client that can import (html, eml etc.) emails from Thunderbird! Not even K9 is able to accomplish that!! I think nowadays, as email services are one of the most important communication means, and people collecting email letters (business and private) just as regular mail letters in the past over years and decades, it should be a standard feature in at least Thunderbird-like (FLOSS) email clients to easily copy and transfer emails and folders with emails from one device to another.

Instead, even the FLOSS developers are narrowing down options and freedoms for users (thinking about disabling POP3 etc.)…

Maybe the best is to leave that G00LAG torture completely and move to a full, native Linux phone and get full control back over your own machines :smiley:

I hope more and more people will realize this…

2 Likes

whut? why will you remove pop3? I have a 20 year old email address with a provider that unfortunately only offers very little data, so pop3 is my only option if I don’t want to delete all mails that are older than a few weeks.

1 Like

To all of you that finally will move to another app, due to these reasons: Please come back here and share your experience!