Import POP3 email

Hi there, fantastic app.

I have all my emails in a local folder / mail file from Thunderbird and i would like to have it also in K9.
How can i import the mail manually into K9? Maybe just putting in a folder like thunderbird?

Thank you in advance for your support.

K-9 Mail doesn’t support importing (or exporting) emails. We don’t want K-9 Mail to be a client where you download and remove messages from the server to manage them locally. Because of that it’s very likely we’ll remove POP3 support eventually. So if you want to keep using this model you should probably switch to a different email client.

If you’re fine with switching to IMAP you should be able to use Thunderbird to upload the messages to the server and then download them by setting up the IMAP account in K-9 Mail.

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with checking one of four POP3 accounts

Could it be a solution if I change the email storage from phone to SD?
Will the app move all the actual folder DB to sd or it will save only the new email?

Rgds

I just checked with samsung official Help desk and they assured me that there’s no possibility for any phone brand to save emails in their memory.
All emails (also in POP3) are saved on App servers. Is there a possibility to recover the server folder on another device?

Rgds

If you have a mail client that complies with the POP3 protocol, it will store the messages in “device-local” storage – that’s the way that protocol is defined. Obviously, if the device has limited storage capacity that’s not a wise approach, and hence most mobile device mail clients don’t really support POP3. Also, as mobile devices have a relatively short (and often somewhat fragile) life span, holding your archives on one is fairly risky.

In general, I think you would be better off moving your mail to an IMAP account as that is (well, should be) more robust and stable than keeping copies of your mail on every device you want to view it on.

Most IMAP clients (K-9 included) will do some level of mail caching so you can view your recently pulled messages without having to re-pull them from the server and so can view them in “off-line” mode, e.g., in a connectivity-free environment like while on a plane.