How to deny question about allowing access to my contacts?

Hello,

since a few weeks I use the k9 version 6.400.

When I start the app, there is the question that I need to allow the access to my contacts (for showing name suggestions and contact pictures). There is only an okay-button to click and no other button.

So I don’t want this and always need to tip anywhere else on the screen so this window disappears. This is a little bit annoying.

In the settings I didn’t find any general setting for denying this.

Please add a button for “no I don’t want this and please remember my decision” or something like this.

Or give me a solution here :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Zigbee

Make sure to actually tap the dialog buttons, both in the “permission rationale” dialog displayed by K-9 Mail and the actual permission dialog displayed by Android. If you dismiss any of the dialogs by tapping outside the dialog, the same dialog will appear the next time you open the app.

I only have the K-9 Mail dialog button and there I have only the option “OK” and nothing else. Not even the Android
permission button is there.

Here a Screenshot:

After you tap the “OK” button in the pictured dialog, you should see the system’s permission dialog. If you don’t want to grant the permission, make sure to tap the corresponding button in the system dialog and don’t just dismiss it.

If you’re seeing the dialog in your screenshot, but no system permission dialog after tapping the “OK” button, it’s a bug in your Android version.

2 Likes

As an extension, in case this was not clear yet: Pressing “OK” on that dialog does not grant the permission. That dialog is just there for the explanation. The second dialog that comes after that is the actual permission request.

@cketti in case more users have trouble with this, maybe the dialog could say something like “grant permission on the next screen”. That makes it more clear that this is just the explanation screen.

4 Likes

I think the point was missed here. The problem is, if you don’t grant permission to access the contacts, that same window appears each time you launch the app, asking for access to contacts. I, for one, do not want my contacts added to the android contact list. There needs to be two buttons. One button says OK and takes you to the android permission prompt, and the other says NO and dismisses the window, never to be seen again! If find this constant demand for access annoying enough to dump the entire app and use a different one.

If you press “no” more than 2 times, it stops asking. Note that you actually have to press “no”, not just the back button.

By all means, please show me where this mythical “no” key exists. The only thing I see when I start the app is a grey notification demanding access to my contacts and the ONLY button is “OK” Note the screen shot in this thread. It’s in German, but the message is the same

I just tested this. I pressed “OK” on the first dialog and “deny” on the actual permission dialog. Closed and did it again. Now I no longer get any dialog.

Really? That’s 100% LIE! I have done this at least 10 times and it STILL has the same notice appears when I start the app. I’ve already dumped the app and it’s liars like YOU that forced me to do so.

There is no need to be rude!

Maybe there is difference in behavior caused by concrete version of K9 and/or Android version/device. If you could give that information I am sure the developers and forum users try to help.

3 Likes

We’re changing the way the app is asking for permissions. See Thunderbird for Android / K-9 Mail: November/December 2023 Progress Report

2 Likes