How to deactivate/activate E-Mail Accounts

Hello, everyone,
is it possible to activate and deactivate individual email accounts without having to delete them? That would be a nice feature to turn off some accounts temporarily.
Thanks
Cyberbob

You can effectively accomplish this be setting both the poll and push folders to ā€œnoneā€ under ā€œsettings/[account]/fetching mailā€. If you are only using polling, you can set the poll frequency to ā€œneverā€.

Ok, thx. But there is no faster way? the Account is shown already, in the account list. I mean deactivate completly. Working Accounts and private Account. I will use on App for both, but with the Option to deactivate the work email :slight_smile:

+100
Being able to disable/enable accounts would be a very nice feature.
Maybe even automatically scheduled.

For me itā€™s sometimes very useful to have access to work mails from my phone during worktime.
However I am really triggered to read mails when it is visible that something has arrived.
And thatā€™s something I donā€™t wont after work or on holiday.

You can do this already, with an Android/Google work profile:

What this does is you install apps into the work profile, and configure them as needed. Then manage the work profile, silence it, weekend time, etc.

You will have to install and configure k9 in that profile. Thus youā€™ll have two k9ā€™s, but one will have a little blue suitcase on the bottom right of the icon to indicate the work profile.

The work profile seems like a Android Enterprise feature. At my Huawei Phone is a option to setup Apps as ā€œTwinAppā€, to get for example 2 Instances of Whatsapp. But there K9 is not shown to setup as TwinApp.

You could tweak around with the synchronisation settings a bit. E.g., push and poll only for first class folders. Then you set your inbox to folder class ā€œNoneā€.

Or you can play around with the time table for the specific account.

If your Android version has ā€œDigital Wellbeingā€, you can set an app timer for K-9 (like 5 minutes) or just add it to the list of distracting apps. Then, when the timer has elapsed or when you enable focus mode, K-9 will be disabled.

Lastly, if your Android version permits, you can deactivate K-9 and reactivate it later.

edit/ typos

An on/off switch per account makes perfect sense and isnā€™t an exotic request at all. We shouldnā€™t have to play around with all sorts of contraptions to do something this basic. The app is there for us, not the other way around.

In the settings for the account in question, go to Fetching mail

• Set Folder poll frequency to ā€˜Neverā€™ or Poll folders to ā€˜Noneā€™
  • Set Push folders to ā€˜Noneā€™

That should do the trick.

Yes itā€™s two steps rather than a single switch, but not a lot of effort, and certainly not 'playing around with all sorts of contraptions" :wink:

2 Likes