Feature Request: Move emails between IMAP accounts/servers

In Outlook as well as in the IMAP MTA I use under Emacs, I have the ability to move emails to folders on other IMAP accounts/servers.

This is very helpful to for example move (rather than forward) an email same from my work account to say my personal email account (or vice-versa). Among other things, this keeps the email headers and body generally intact.

Currently, it seems like K9 only allows moving emails to folders under the same account.
I imagine it shouldn’t be hard to allow one to “navigate up a level” to access the folders of another account.

2 Likes

I believe that an intra-account message “move” only requires an IMAP server-side “rename” (and a redraw of the client-side message list display). On the other hand, an inter-account message move requires that the message be pulled to the client from the first account and then written to the second server/account. So, an inter-account message “move” is rather more complex and resource intensive, especially if the message is large and/or the client is on a slow network.

I’m not saying that this can’t/shouldn’t be an option for a mobile device client, just that someone invoking an inter-account message move needs to be warned of/understand the full implications - including the impact on metered data usage.

2 Likes

Good points and for that reason one may not want to transfer over thousands of messages at a time.
But often I get a personal message on my work account (or vice-versa) that I would like to transfer over and it’s a PITA to have wait until I get back to my PC to do it on another full-fledged MTA.

Also, with more and more people have unlimited or near unlimited data and more and more 5G, arguably it’s faster and as cheap as doing the transfer over a fixed network.

So, would be great to have such a feature…

1 Like

I just came here to word the exact same feature request. Also Thunderbird supports moving emails between accounts, so please, dear developers, make this possible on K9 too.
I collect mails to some different private Email addresses in one IMAP account. For consistency, sent mails from one of these addresses I put also in the sent folder of that master account. This is not possible in K9. Sent mails from a certain address make them go into the sent folder of that auxiliary account and I cannot get them out of there into the master IMAP account.

Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Same here! Really need this feature!

I found that really the only way of managing the huge amount of my emails is to have my own IMAP server as email storage. Therefore, I need to be able to move my messages from my active accounts to the IMAP storage. Currently, I can only do this on my PC (thunderbird). Being able to do this important activity “on the go” would be a significant productivity enhancement for me!

This is also issue #760 on github: https://github.com/thundernest/k-9/issues/760

i really want this option. my phone has 6 times the ram compared to some desktops i have. and it has no data or even power limits thanks to the battery belt i have. this is missing feature. while androids suck hard, they still are like best phones

while there, i hope the android firefox issues don’t creep over here. namely the inability to export profile

otherwise, this is the only mua for phones. even push is supported so an easy way to get important monitoring notifications, etc. and this requires no external services work