Does K-9 support TLS 1.2?

Does K-9 version 6.000 (for Android 6.0.1) support TLS 1.2? My ISP will be requiring TLS 1.2 on 8/9/22.
Thank you.

That’s really an OS, not application, issue/question. Android 6.0.1 looks to have TLS 1.2 enabled by default. It doesn’t appear to support 1.3.

Android 6 hasn’t gotten security updates for going on 5 years … it really is time to move on to a supported version.

[I’m a little surprised that application developers don’t enforce minimum OS levels, cutting off those that are well off the support grid.]

1 Like

Sometimes, companies and governments buy old devices bulk. They then expect developers they pay to support these devices. This is especially true if government funding is involved.

I’m not too sure about K-9 though. If I remember correctly, cketti applied for financial support for JMAP from the BMBF (German Federal Ministry of Education), but I do not know what strings were attached.

On the other hand, cketti does use the “long time” argument to drop support of features (see Why APG is no longer supported). Thus, it’s a mystery even the more, why old Android versions are still supported.

I’m very glad when app developers don’t do that, and angry when they do. The idea that people should throw away devices that still work well, is wrong and unsustainable. It is pushed by manufacturers whose interest lies in making people buy stuff that they really don’t need.

Thank you for your observation that “Android 6.0.1 looks to have TLS 1.2 enabled by default.” That is reassuring; we’ll see what happens on August 9th. In reference to your snide comments concerning the antiquity of my device, I would be happy to move forward from my 2013 Nexus 7 if I could find a 7" tablet that had GPS/GLONASS, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC as well as more than 32 GB of memory and a 1920 × 1200 display. What can you recommend? Otherwise I appreciate developers who continue to support my long-outdated device which continues to serve my needs.

Rumors have it that the next Pixel events will not only present the Pixel Watch, but also a Pixel Tablet.

I found this thread via search, and my email provider will be upgrading to TLS 1.2 in September. I have an Android 7.1 tablet, and saw the previous post about this being an Android issue and supporting TLS 1.2 since Android 6.

After my provider upgrades to TLS 1.2, will I need to do anything like recreating my mail accounts in K-9? Anything else to be concerned about?

You do not have to do anything wrt. K-9 and your provider. Cf. Qualys SSL Labs - Projects / User Agent Capabilities: Android 7.0

However, I want to strongly encourage you to upgrade to a device with a newer Android version as you are out of update coverage. There are dozens upon dozens of unfixed security issues and attack vectors on such an old Android version.

My ISP recommended that the port assigned to the IMAP server should be 993; to the SMTP server, port 465; and SSL/TLS encryption enabled for both. The change-over date was moved to Sept. 1st.

Thanks for that info. We’ll see what happens. :grin:

Not to go too far off topic, but my current device is not upgradable, and I have not found a newer device with the features I need.

My ISP recommended that the port assigned to the IMAP server should be 993; to the SMTP server, port 465; and SSL/TLS encryption enabled for both

Thanks for that, those are my current settings also.

The change-over date was moved to Sept. 1st.

Your provider wouldn’t happen to also be 1&1 Ionos? :grinning:

It is 1&1 Ionos. I have to yet find a 7 inch tablet that has the features that my old 2013 Nexus 7 has. Maybe the Pixel tablet is an option; we’ll see.