Can you recommend an e-mail provider to work on older devices?

KitKat (Android 4.4) has been dropped by Google. Before I abandoned it, Google Play Services was so bogged down it barely ran.

K-9 works up to version 5.6.

So I am looking for an e-mail account that I can use with K-9 in KitKat. Using IMAP, I suspect it is the OS & not the K-9 version.

Anyone successfully using K-9 on an old Android?

1 Like

Good luck with that. You may as well be asking for Windows XP support. KitKat hasn’t been maintained for nearly seven years! KitKat is not going to be capable of usng current security protocols or certificates.

KitKat is long past its use by date. It is time to put it to rest and move on to current and supported operating system.

2 Likes

What device is it? Sometimes you can extend lifetime by applying an alternative OS, e.g. LineageOS (which is based on official Android) which supports later Android versions.

3 Likes

I want to chime in to endorse the suggestion offered by @stphn with more than just a 'like" on his reply. Flashing a newer OS is the most sensible option for keeping a device that old in service.

I avoided such a suggestion in my reply only because it can be a daunting task for the uninitiated. The XDA forums are an excellent resource for such endeavors and are suitable for beginners and experts alike.

2 Likes

Before installing K-9 Google forced updates of Google Play Services & once running it cripples the low spec device.

Disable GPS & it runs like new. So I did that & G-mail would not permit login so I searched for the newest K-9 which is same.

Call me idealistic, but it seems like an old Android could work as an e-mail reader without Google.

If it is not possible I would like to know the specific technology forbidding it.

Why not simply download an old version of K-9 from apkmirror?

Plus what do you mean that you can’t log in without GPS enabled? If you mean Location then that’s not true - I have Location disabled on all my devices and K-9 works just fine.

Oh and FYI: yahoo, gmail or proton for example are email providers - what you are looking for is an email client :wink:

1 Like