Another UI redesign noboby asked for full of disimprovements

Guys, another infuriating UI redesign is really the last thing I needed now. First Firefox, now K-9. Hasn’t Covid been bad enough? Or is this some twisted joke about launching a buggy UI in the pandemic era?
Nobody ever seems to ask the users what they want, decisions like that apparently are taken in some smoky back room by a small group of people who just love doing UI. The people who actually use the damn thing want two things in the main - stability and usability. We don’t give a FIG if it looks ‘fresh’ or ‘engaging’ or ‘[insert buzzword of the day]’. If I wanted that kind of crap, I’d use Outlook. Someone higher up the feeding chain needs to start looking at whether a new [insert thing] is actually want people want and checking just how many users you’ll cheese off by removing feature X in favour of some flashy but pointless new thing.

8 Likes

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” A good rule to live by.

Think where we’d be now if Microsoft, instead of f’ing with a perfectly good UI, had spent all their energy into improving security.

4 Likes

The list of mistakes is stunning.

Could they not have read the previous settings and reused them? Font size, for example, or preview lines?

And do I now have to open a message to delete it? As in, I can’t just select a number of messages and delete them all?

Time to investigate another email program because the “new and improved” K9 is, quite simply, dreadful.

4 Likes

Long press to check, then delete.(Once one is checked, multiselect works, just select all you want to delete)

2 Likes

I see, thanks. I was used to swipe, which seems to have disappeared.

It takes forever to select multiple messages now. I had the check boxes on the left which allowed selecting multiple messages very quickly.

Use contact pictures, it becomes a check mark area as soon as one is held till it is checked. Or, if not using contact pictures, hold until one is highlighted as selected, then just select/highlight each message. ( No hold necessary after the first is selected)

1 Like