Upgrade to 6.000 freezes phone - requires power cycle

I’ve been using K-9 for years. Currently have 5.807 on my OnePlus 5T running Android 10. I’ve attempted to update to the current version (6.000) of K-9 via the phone settings and via the play store, but in both cases this freezes the phone while displaying a frozen “Updating” notice. The only way to get the phone working is a power reset. No Android soft keys work… nothing - the phone is completely unresponsive (except a long-press on the power button). I’ve never seen this before. I just updated over a dozen other apps with no issues.

After power cycling, K-9 5.807 is still the version installed, and it works fine.

This seems to be a bug in the OnePlus Android version. Uninstalling the app, then reinstalling has worked for other owners of a OnePlus device.

Don’t forget to backup your settings!

Thanks, I’ll try the uninstall/reinstall route.

It is curious when a generic operation like updating causes issues with only one app - I would not tend to blame the OS, though I realize that this is a process largely outside the control of K-9 developers. Particularly since this behaviour is new with this specific update and not previous ones going back several years. Maybe there is some component of the update that is malformed?

Cheers.

I doubt that. I have a 5T myself (backup device) that was running RR 10 when K-9 updated and I had no issues at all. Same with the OP3 which was also on RR 10 at the time, so I highly doubt that. If anything it might have been a OOS 10 issue … but I’m inclined to chalk it up to a fluke aka Gremlins, since nobody else reported anything like that :slightly_smiling_face: