Some folders are not removed from K9 after a refresh folder list action

hi

this is a problem that has existed (for me) since Sep 2021.

EDIT: excitedly i believe i’ve isolated the problem!

Certain gmail folders that i renamed have resulted in both the old folder and the renamed one appearing in K9’s folder list

example:

“youtube audio” folder no longer exists in gmail (it’s been renamed) but still appears in K9

“youtube audio / headphone stuff” is the new name for “youtube audio” and also appears in K9

I was using K9 v5.806 on official build of android 9 on samsung s8 at the time.

I posted this as a bug here (some folders are not removed from K9 after a refresh folder list action · Issue #5661 · thundernest/k-9 · GitHub) - devs reported that it was a bug and had been fixed in beta.

I’ve just got an S22 handset, installed K9 v6.202 on latest OTA firmware (One UI 5.0 - android 13) and the problems have re-occurred

Symptoms
gmail IMAP folders that i have historically renamed - e.g. “youtube audio” :arrow_right: “youtube audio / headphone stuff” - get duplicated in K9

i.e. both the old folder and the renamed one both exist in K9’s folder list

testing
refreshed K9 folder list - no change

force stop k9 then run (and view folder list) - no change

force stop k9 then run then refresh folder list - no change

created new gmail folder (“test folder”) and refreshed folder list - new folder is visible

renamed gmail folder (“test folder”) to “test folder renamed” and refreshed folder list - revised folder name appears and old folder name is NOT visible (in K9)

renamed gmail folder (“test folder renamed”) to “test folder renamed again / but with a forward slash” and refreshed folder list - revised folder name appears AND old folder name is also visible (K9)

renamed gmail folder (“test folder renamed again / but with a forward slash”) to “test folder renamed yet again but with no forward slash” - revised folder name appears and old folder name has disappeared from K9 (yes!)

Conclusion
K9 can’t house-keep gmail folder names with a “/” in them correctly and leaves the old folder visible in K9

This conclusion appears consistent with all folder duplications that i can see in K9

Questions
Could the devs confirm this is a limitation of the use of this character (forward slash - apparently 002F in UTF-16)?

Does this limitation apply to other characters too?

Is this something they can adjust for in K9 code?

many thanks,

Gary

Any special character reserved in the Unix naming convention should not be used.

The forward slash (/) indicates a subfolder. Thus, K-9 properly displays the subfolder and its parent.

The same applies to the backslash () depending on the server OS and software.

1 Like

ok that makes sense. i’m familiar with filepath separators.

However, obviously gmail permits them and treats them as strings.

I had no reason to suppose K9 wouldn’t.

Any other special characters I need to avoid?

thanks,

Gary

IMAP supports arbitrary folder hierarchy separators. Slash is what Gmail returns as its hierarchy separator.