Emptying the Trash

I do not set up my trash folder as a class one display because I don’t look at it very often. Now that I have the new version of K9 I am forced to display classes 1 and 2 every time I want to empty the trash. Would it be difficult to put an empty the trash button somewhere more convenient.

If you don’t care about the Trash folder, you can configure K-9 Mail not to use it (set Settings > [Account] > Folders > Trash folder to None). In that case the app will delete messages right away instead of moving them to the Trash folder.

Making the “empty Trash” functionality accessible when the Trash folder is not displayed feels like the wrong thing to do.

I want to change the way we display folders. So in the future there will probably be an easier way to get to hidden folders. That will most likely make your use case require a lot less clicks than it does now.

1 Like

Actually in replying to your message I had an experience which makes me certain that I want to keep the trash folder. It gives me the opportunity to change my mind easily about trashing something. When I was replying to your response to my post I noticed that I had made a typo. I was having trouble correcting it and then I somehow did something that sent the uncorrected reply to you. I assumed that there might be some way that I could edit my reply, and I started to try to figure out what that was. When I couldn’t figure it out I decided simply to trash my reply to you and start over again. But when I tried to do that it seems like it may have trashed the entire thread. I’m not sure if that’s true but if it is then it makes me want to have the ability do you have second thoughts about trashing my messages.

So I’ll wait for you to make the improvements and in the meantime I’ll be patient and deal with the extra clicks.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don’t have this option in my version (updated) (set Settings > [Account] > Folders > Trash foldertoNone)

Maybe another way is to empty the trash after a defined period of time.

Are you using IMAP or POP? With IMAP the “None” option is at the top (second down) of the folder list that is presented. POP doesn’t have the concept of server-side folders.

I am using POP3

Understand that.

The issue of too many steps to empty the trash is a real thing.